A select group of Baylor College of Medicine faculty members were recognized for excellence in patient care at the Master Clinician and Rising Star Clinician Awards ceremony June 16.
The awards were established by Baylor President, CEO and Executive Dean Dr. Paul Klotman to recognize faculty for their exemplary qualities of clinical excellence and expertise, consistent high level of patient care, professionalism, commendable leadership skills and continuous service to the community.
The Master Clinician Award is for full professors with 15 or more years of clinical service at Baylor, while the Rising Star Clinician Award recognizes assistant and associate professors with at least five years of clinical service.
After an introduction by Dr. Alicia Monroe, Baylor provost and senior vice president for academic and faculty affairs, the awards were presented by Klotman and Dr. Biykem Bozkurt, professor of medicine – cardiology at Baylor, who served as chair of the Master Clinician and Rising Star Clinician selection committee.
“When I first arrived here, I remember many people talking about the strength of our research, but I felt it was important to also recognize our clinicians. At the end of the day, taking care of patients is one of the most important things we do at an academic medical center,” Klotman said, noting that Baylor physicians see almost half of the patients in the Texas Medical Center.
2016 Master Clinician Award recipients
- Dr. James Adams, professor of pediatrics
- Dr. Christie Ballantyne, professor of medicine
- Dr. Arthur Beaudet, professor molecular and human genetics
- Dr. Joseph Coselli, professor of surgery
- Dr. Anita Deswal, professor of medicine
- Dr. Milton Finegold, professor of pathology & immunology
- Dr. Sylvia Hsu, professor of dermatology
- Dr. Stephen Pflugfelder, professor of ophthalmology
2016 Rising Star Award recipients
- Dr. Binoy Chandy, assistant professor of otolaryngology
- Dr. Yvonne I. Chu, assistant professor of ophthalmology
- Dr. Bruno P. Chumpitazi, assistant professor of pediatrics
- Dr. Joohi Jimenez-Shahed, assistant professor of neurology
- Dr. Joseph S. Kass, associate professor of neurology
- Dr. Timothy C. Lee, assistant professor of surgery
- Dr. Monica E. Lopez, assistant professor of surgery
- Dr. Julie Nangia, assistant professor in the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center
- Dr. Ibrahim Omeis, assistant professor of neurosurgery
- Dr. Mohan Pammi, associate professor of pediatrics
- Dr. Christian P. Schaaf, assistant professor of molecular and human genetics
- Dr. Eric J. Silberfein, associate professor of surgery
- Dr. James W. Suliburk, assistant professor of surgery