Baylor College of Medicine announces the 13th Annual Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards.
This annual contest honors the legendary, preeminent cardiovascular surgeon, pioneering medical scientist, gifted medical educator, prolific author and scholar, and passionate advocate of optimal healthcare throughout the world. Dr. Michael E. DeBakey strongly advocated a role for the humanities in medical education and in the development of a full, enriching and intellectual life.
1. Only original poetry on a medical subject and by undergraduates currently enrolled in accredited United States medical schools is eligible.
2. By a copy of the student photograph I.D. card, entrants must document enrollment in an accredited American medical school in pursuit of the M.D. degree.
3. Each medical student may submit only one poem, not to exceed 2 pages.
4. Entries must be postmarked no later than January 31, 2016.
5. Poems must be on a medical subject.
6. Poems must be:
a. Original, not published or under consideration for publication, and not having previously received a poetry award.
b. Limited to two (2) pages, double-spaced.
c. In English; no translations from other languages.
d. Printed on 8.5 x 11 inch bond paper.
e. Accompanied by a cover page, with the following information:
-Current mailing and e-mailing addresses, telephone, and fax numbers if available.
-Copy of photographed student I.D. card documenting medical school enrollment.
f. Submitted in six (6) hard (print) copies, as well as emailed to Peyton Davis (Peyton.firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. Entries will not be acknowledged.
8. A distinguished panel of qualified judges will assess the poems.
9. Winners will be announced in July, 2016.
-The first prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $1,000.00
-The second prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $500.00
-The third prize recipient will receive a cash prize of $250.00
10. The first-prize poem will become the property of the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards program and will be submitted to a major medical periodical for consideration for publication. If it is accepted for publication, the publisher will own copyright.
Envelopes for submissions should be marked: For the Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Awards Program and sent to:
Dr. David H. Berger
Chair, Michael E. DeBakey Medical Student Poetry Awards
Professor and Vice-Chair, Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
BCM MS 390
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, TX 77030