The FOBT is another screening test used to check for blood in a patient’s stool. Patients must follow a special diet when taking this screening. The FOBT educational materials that are provided to the patients have several components: FOBT educational videos and printed instructional guides.
For additional information on the FOBT, visit the American Cancer Society website.
FOBT Educational Materials
The FOBT educational materials were developed by the Community Network for Cancer Prevention, in collaboration with our community partner, Tomagwa Healthcare Ministries. The purpose the FOBT educational materials:
- Increase knowledge and awareness of CRC screening guidelines and services
- Provide tools to health providers to educate patients about CRC screening resources available at the state, regional, and local levels.
- Increase rates of referral and follow-up of abnormal FOBT results
- Increase the proportion of patients identified as being at risk for CRC.
- Increase the proportion of patient diagnosed with CRC in precancerous or early stages of disease.
FOBT Educational Videos
Patients who are eligible for CRC screening are given the opportunity to view a brief educational video about CRC screening in English or Spanish before visiting with their physician.
Each video is culturally and linguistically appropriate for African-American, white, and Hispanic, men and women. Because the patient selects the video he or she prefers to watch, selection data can be used to analyze whether CRC screening rates will improve, patient knowledge about CRC screening will increase, and patient attitudes about CRC screening will change.
Printed Instruction Guide
At the end of the clinic visit, a member of the clinical team explains this instructional guide to the patient. This printed guide is a set of easy-to-read step-by-step instructions for the FOBT. The guide is designed to help patients complete their FOBT screening in the privacy of their home. It explains how to perform the test, how to properly store the specimens, and where to return them.