News and Events
In the News
Thursday, Jan. 16
Childbirth Considerations With Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Don’t let back pain disrupt your sleepFeb 6, 2015
- If back pain has you tossing and turning at night, an expert at Baylor College of Medicine has a few tips that could help you catch some Zs.
- Safely, slowly introduce new workout routinesJan 5, 2015
- Sports medicine expert Dr. Theodore Shybut offers tips on how to safely participate in new exercises in the new year.
- Knee health and runningNov 25, 2014
- Baylor-led study finds running as a habitual exercise at any stage in life does not increase a person’s risk of developing knee osteoarthritis and may even help protect a person from developing the painful disease.
- Comfort trumps fashion this holiday seasonNov 10, 2014
- Baylor College of Medicine foot and ankle surgeon says wearing high heels too often can lead to problems such as forefoot pain and ankle sprains.
- $6.25M NIH award to lead brittle bone disease clinical research consortiumOct 8, 2014
- Baylor College of Medicine has received funding from the National Institutes of Health to lead the Brittle Bone Disorders Consortium of the Rare Disease Clinical Research Network.
- Notch1 and osteoblasts play role in bone cancer initiationSep 8, 2014
- Baylor study finds high levels of Notch1, a gene that helps determine cell fate, can drive cells that normally lead to bone formation to become cancerous.
- Ensure safe start to school with sports physicalAug 15, 2014
- Participating in school sports is a great way for kids to get exercise and stay healthy but it’s important they get a sports physical before starting an activity, say experts at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Encourage non-athletic children to become physically activeAug 14, 2014
- Not every child is immediately drawn to athletics, but all children and teens should learn the importance of physical activity as a part of a healthy lifestyle.
- State-of-the-art ACL treatment individualized based on patient factorsJul 31, 2014
- One of the most common sports injuries that requires surgery can be tailored to the individual to treat ACL tears.
- Study unveils new approach to treating brittle bone diseaseMay 5, 2014
- Researchers at Baylor College of Medicine have identified a new approach to treating brittle bone disease, a congenital disorder that results in fragile bones that break easily.
- Study points way to potential new treatment for brittle bone diseaseJan 29, 2014
- Researchers find patients with brittle bone disease treated with a form of parathyroid hormone approved for treatment of women with osteoporosis, had stronger bones in the lower spine and the hip when compared to a group of similar patients who received pl
- Myotonic dystrophy disrupts normal control of gene expression in the heartJan 9, 2014
- Baylor research finds heart problems in myotonic dystrophy stem from disruption of a network that controls bits of genetic material (microRNAs) that fine-tune protein expression.
- Improve your nutrition, fitness in the new yearDec 30, 2013
- Get the rundown of the College's best tips in fitness and nutrition from our experts.
- Expert says reach for chocolate milk post workoutNov 13, 2013
- Researchers have found that people who consumed chocolate milk after a workout compared to those who drank a more traditional fluid had a better workout the next day.
- Know the facts on arthritisMay 9, 2013
- Baylor College of Medicine expert discusses the facts about arthritis. Join Dr. Melvyn Harrington at the Houston Arthritis Walk.
- Mutations in WNT1 prompt bone disease in children and adultsMay 8, 2013
- BCM researcher uncovers bone development genetic mutation that could lead to new treatments for osteoporosis.
- Protein may alter inevitability of osteoarthritisMar 13, 2013
- BCM researchers find that increasing an amount of naturally occurring protein could help ease joint pain, help osteoarthritis patients.
- Calorie needs of athletes vary with intensity of trainingMar 6, 2013
- BCM expert reminds athletes not to skip fruits and vegetables in diet.
- BCM experts offer last minute marathon remindersJan 10, 2013
- BCM sports medicine expert provides tips to help you prepare for marathons.
- Alternative to steroid injections can provide long-term pain reliefNov 13, 2012
- Platelet rich plasma injection treatment uses patient's own platelets to tell body to heal itself.