The Menopause Center, part of Baylor College of Medicine's Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, is a unique center dedicated solely to the care and treatment of women with menopause symptoms, conditions and related health issues.
Located in the Pavilion for Women at Texas Children's Hospital, in Houston, Texas, we offer evidence-based treatment for proven results, and expert guidance from Baylor College of Medicine specialists on the latest menopause therapies, trends and research findings.
Effects of Menopause on Women's Health
Menopause occurs when your ovaries stop releasing eggs and producing female hormones. This change in hormone levels can cause symptoms such as hot flashes, sleeplessness and mood swings.
Even if a woman has no obvious symptoms, it's important to understand the effects of menopause and aging on your overall health. Loss of the female hormone estrogen can weaken a woman's bones, for example, increase cholesterol levels that contribute to coronary artery disease, cause emotional changes, vaginal changes, and urinary tract changes.
At the Menopause Center, our comprehensive approach addresses every aspect of a woman's health affected by menopause, in one convenient location. Our clinic is located in the Texas Children's Pavilion for Women, in Houston's world-renowned Texas Medical Center.
Our board-certified physicians specialize in treating menopause symptoms, conditions and related health issues, including:
- Bladder irritability
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
- Cardiovascular changes
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Hot flashes
- Incontinence (loss of bladder or bowel control)
- Irregular periods or changes in flow
- Mood swings
- Night sweats
- Overactive bladder
- Pelvic floor disorders (pelvic organ prolapse)
- Sexual dysfunction/low libido
- Vaginal dryness and painful intercourse
- Vaginal infections
We also help women stay on top of the preventative screenings, immunizations and checkups that are critical to healthy aging, and provide the latest guidance on lifestyle habits to help women feel their best during the menopause years.
Our patients have access to the full range of gynecologic specialists needed to treat menopause-related conditions, including:
- Gynecology - for treatment of all conditions of a woman's reproductive system
- Reproductive Psychiatry - for treatment of mood disorders, anxiety and depression
- Urogynecology - for treatment of incontinence, overactive bladder, pelvic organ prolapsed
- Vulvovaginal Health Clinic - for treatment of diseases of the vulva and vagina
- Hormone Replacement Therapy - for treatment of hormone imbalances including bio-identical hormones
- Gynecologic Oncology - for treatment of cancers of the female reproductive system