Breast Center Newsletters
Male breast cancer survivor wants men to hear his story - July 9, 2015
One survivor is sharing his story about his battle with breast cancer and has a warning for every man.
- Breast cancer researchers receive $900,000 to support study of treatment resistance, drug efficacyDec 28, 2016
- Dr. Meghashyam Kavuri and Dr. Xi Chen have been awarded grants from the Susan G. Komen Foundation to support their breast cancer research.
- Scalp-cooling device cuts hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapyDec 9, 2016
- A scalp cooling cap has been shown to effective in reducing hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Promising results shown from combination therapy in HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancerDec 8, 2016
- A new study reveals the efficacy and safety of treating HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancer with pertuzumab in combination with trastuzumab, along with an aromatase inhibitor.
- NSABP B52 trial shows estrogen deprivation in neoadjuvant chemotherapy breast cancer treatment is not antagonistic to pathologic complete responseDec 8, 2016
- Research by Dr. Mothaffar F. Rimawi he finds that adding an aromatase inhibitor to presurgery breast cancer treatment did not significantly increase or decrease the percentage of patients who experienced a pathologic complete response.
- Unraveling what happens inside a tumor; new method opens opportunities to improve diagnosis and treatmentNov 17, 2016
- New strategy allows researchers to identify the different types of cells in the tumor and to unveil how the interactions between cancer and normal cells may shape the fate of the tumor.
- Stiletto Strut raises $60,000 to support breast cancer researchOct 31, 2016
- The 2016 Stiletto Strut event, sponsored by Neiman Marcus, raised more than $60,000 to support breast cancer research being conducted at Baylor College of Medicine’s Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center.
- Baylor welcomes new McNair Scholar, Dr. Bing ZhangOct 31, 2016
- Dr. Bing Zhang, a computational biologist with a focus on cancer bioinformatics, has been named the newest McNair Scholar at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Breast reconstruction after cancer offers chance for patients to feel good in their own skin by using their own abdominal tissueOct 19, 2016
- Plastic surgeon Dr. Sebastian Winocour discusses options for breast reconstruction following cancer, including using a patient's own abdominal tissue.
- Baylor College of Medicine Honors Breast Cancer Awareness MonthOct 10, 2016
- Baylor College of Medicine will host a special panel discussion in honor of Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Oct. 13.
- Scientists uncover mechanism that can explain breast cancer resistance to hormone therapy, point to potential therapiesOct 3, 2016
- Scientists study potential therapies for breast cancer tumors resistant to hormone therapy.
- Local breast cancer foundation gifts $20,000 donation to support clinical trialsOct 3, 2016
- The Kathy S. Harkey Breast Cancer Foundation presented a check to Baylor College of Medicine in support of its efforts to develop and execute clinical trials in the quest for a breast cancer cure.
- Baylor College of Medicine welcomes Dr. Stacey CarterAug 26, 2016
- Dr. Stacey Carter joins the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center and the Department of Surgery as an assistant professor.
- President Obama names Margaret Spitz to National Cancer Advisory BoardAug 12, 2016
- Renowned expert in molecular epidemiology Dr. Margaret Spitz to advocate for cancer prevention and health disparities on the National Cancer Advisory Board.
- Sedgwick receives award celebrating professionalism in medicineAug 11, 2016
- Dr. Emily Sedgwick has been named the 2016 recipient of the Ben and Margaret Love Foundation Bobby Alford Award for Academic Clinical Professionalism.
- Research reveals patients can have more than one breast cancer and points at strategies to treat themAug 9, 2016
- Researchers identify that a majority of ER-positive breast cancers are actually a family of related tumors which could lead to new treatment plans.
- Baylor College of Medicine receives grant from Komen Houston for breast health programJul 8, 2016
- Susan G. Komen Houston awarded a $132,050 grant to Baylor for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer in underserved patient populations.
- Helping breast cancer patients discover body confidence during swimsuit seasonJun 29, 2016
- Swimsuit season can be particularly tough for some women undergoing breast cancer treatment, or who have had reconstructive surgery.
- Baylor College of Medicine welcomes Dr. Chonghui ChengJun 24, 2016
- Dr. Chonghui Cheng joins Baylor's Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center and the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics as an associate professor, continuing her work to explore how RNA regulation controls breast cancer metastasis.
- ASCO honors Osborne for work in breast cancer research, mentorshipJun 14, 2016
- Dr. C Kent Osborne has been awarded the 2016 American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Gianni Bonadonna Breast Cancer Award and Lecture.
- Submit abstracts for 3rd Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer ConferenceJun 1, 2016
- Abstracts are currently being accepted for the 3rd Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference hosted by the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center at Baylor College of Medicine.