Breast Cancer Conversations
A Quarterly Meet Up to Engage the Community of Houston About Breast Cancer
Topic: Treatments in Breast Cancer: What’s New?
Thursday, July 19, 2018
5 - 6 p.m.
Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center
Speakers: Matthew J. Ellis, M.D., Ph.D., and Alphie Kuriakose
Male breast cancer survivor wants men to hear his story - July 9, 2015
One survivor is sharing his story about his battle with breast cancer and has a warning for every man.
- New promise found in treating triple negative breast cancerMar 26, 2018
- A new study has identified a novel treatment strategy that may be effective for triple negative breast cancer patients.
- G-quadruplex regulates breast cancer-associated geneDec 21, 2017
- Researchers have now discovered a mechanism by which cells can regulate switching between the two proteins, opening options for the development of novel therapeutic strategies to control cancer growth in the future.
- Dr. Jeffery Rosen honored for breast cancer research Dec 8, 2017
- Dr. Jeffrey Rosen was awarded the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Distinguished Lecture in Breast Cancer Research at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.
- Dr. Matthew Ellis named to Forbes’ “Physician Honor Roll"Dec 5, 2017
- Dr. Matthew Ellis is one of 27 breast oncologists across the country being recognized by Forbes as an exemplary physician in the field of breast cancer oncology.
- Lumpectomy, lift good combination for breast cancer patientsOct 17, 2017
- An effort between a surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon can provide an opportunity for women diagnosed with breast cancer to not only have the lump removed, but also get a breast lift at the same time.
- Baylor introduces new metastatic breast cancer programOct 9, 2017
- Oct. 13 has been declared Metastatic Breast Cancer Day by the Senate of the State of Texas. In honor of this proclamation, Baylor College of Medicine is launching a new program aimed at fighting the disease.
- Grant funds chemotherapy-free breast cancer therapy researchSep 21, 2017
- A new grant to Baylor College of Medicine from the Department of Defense advances effort to develop effective treatments for HER2-positive breast cancers without chemotherapy.
- CPRIT awards $13M for prevention, research, recruitmentAug 18, 2017
- Researchers in the NCI-designated Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center have received $13,107,956 from CPRIT for six new grants.
- Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference seeks abstractsMay 22, 2017
- The Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference is currently seeking abstracts for consideration at the annual conference on Oct. 12 – 13, 2017 at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Avon grant supports breast care services for underservedMay 8, 2017
- Following the annual Avon 39 walk, the Avon Foundation for Women presented Baylor with a grant for $100,000 to support the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center’s Pink 4 Life project.
- New technique tests therapies for breast cancer metastasis Apr 21, 2017
- A new laboratory technique can rapidly test the effectiveness of treatments for life-threatening breast cancer metastases in bone.
- Novel approach can reveal better breast cancer treatmentsMar 28, 2017
- Researchers have developed a new way to approach breast cancer treatment by seeking to neutralize specific biological growth drivers.
- Scalp cooling effective in reducing hair loss during chemoFeb 14, 2017
- Dr. Julie Nangia reports the results of her research studying the effectiveness of scalp cooling therapy in reducing hair loss in women undergoing chemotherapy.
- Breast cancer researchers receive $900,000 to support study of treatment resistance, drug efficacyDec 28, 2016
- Dr. Meghashyam Kavuri and Dr. Xi Chen have been awarded grants from the Susan G. Komen Foundation to support their breast cancer research.
- Scalp-cooling device cuts hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapyDec 9, 2016
- A scalp cooling cap has been shown to effective in reducing hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Promising results shown from combination therapy in HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancerDec 8, 2016
- A new study reveals the efficacy and safety of treating HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancer with pertuzumab in combination with trastuzumab, along with an aromatase inhibitor.
- NSABP B52 trial shows estrogen deprivation in neoadjuvant chemotherapy breast cancer treatment is not antagonistic to pathologic complete responseDec 8, 2016
- Research by Dr. Mothaffar F. Rimawi he finds that adding an aromatase inhibitor to presurgery breast cancer treatment did not significantly increase or decrease the percentage of patients who experienced a pathologic complete response.
- Unraveling what happens inside a tumor; new method opens opportunities to improve diagnosis and treatmentNov 17, 2016
- New strategy allows researchers to identify the different types of cells in the tumor and to unveil how the interactions between cancer and normal cells may shape the fate of the tumor.
- Stiletto Strut raises $60,000 to support breast cancer researchOct 31, 2016
- The 2016 Stiletto Strut event, sponsored by Neiman Marcus, raised more than $60,000 to support breast cancer research being conducted at Baylor College of Medicine’s Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center.
- Baylor welcomes new McNair Scholar, Dr. Bing ZhangOct 31, 2016
- Dr. Bing Zhang, a computational biologist with a focus on cancer bioinformatics, has been named the newest McNair Scholar at Baylor College of Medicine.