Breast Center Newsletters
Male breast cancer survivor wants men to hear his story - July 9, 2015
One survivor is sharing his story about his battle with breast cancer and has a warning for every man.
- Breast reconstruction after cancer offers chance for patients to feel good in their own skin by using their own abdominal tissueOct 19, 2016
- Plastic surgeon Dr. Sebastian Winocour discusses options for breast reconstruction following cancer, including using a patient's own abdominal tissue.
- Baylor College of Medicine Honors Breast Cancer Awareness MonthOct 10, 2016
- Baylor College of Medicine will host a special panel discussion in honor of Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Oct. 13.
- Scientists uncover mechanism that can explain breast cancer resistance to hormone therapy, point to potential therapiesOct 3, 2016
- Scientists study potential therapies for breast cancer tumors resistant to hormone therapy.
- Local breast cancer foundation gifts $20,000 donation to support clinical trialsOct 3, 2016
- The Kathy S. Harkey Breast Cancer Foundation presented a check to Baylor College of Medicine in support of its efforts to develop and execute clinical trials in the quest for a breast cancer cure.
- Baylor College of Medicine welcomes Dr. Stacey CarterAug 26, 2016
- Dr. Stacey Carter joins the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center and the Department of Surgery as an assistant professor.
- President Obama names Margaret Spitz to National Cancer Advisory BoardAug 12, 2016
- Renowned expert in molecular epidemiology Dr. Margaret Spitz to advocate for cancer prevention and health disparities on the National Cancer Advisory Board.
- Sedgwick receives award celebrating professionalism in medicineAug 11, 2016
- Dr. Emily Sedgwick has been named the 2016 recipient of the Ben and Margaret Love Foundation Bobby Alford Award for Academic Clinical Professionalism.
- Research reveals patients can have more than one breast cancer and points at strategies to treat themAug 9, 2016
- Researchers identify that a majority of ER-positive breast cancers are actually a family of related tumors which could lead to new treatment plans.
- Baylor College of Medicine receives grant from Komen Houston for breast health programJul 8, 2016
- Susan G. Komen Houston awarded a $132,050 grant to Baylor for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer in underserved patient populations.
- Helping breast cancer patients discover body confidence during swimsuit seasonJun 29, 2016
- Swimsuit season can be particularly tough for some women undergoing breast cancer treatment, or who have had reconstructive surgery.
- Baylor College of Medicine welcomes Dr. Chonghui ChengJun 24, 2016
- Dr. Chonghui Cheng joins Baylor's Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center and the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics as an associate professor, continuing her work to explore how RNA regulation controls breast cancer metastasis.
- ASCO honors Osborne for work in breast cancer research, mentorshipJun 14, 2016
- Dr. C Kent Osborne has been awarded the 2016 American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Gianni Bonadonna Breast Cancer Award and Lecture.
- Submit abstracts for 3rd Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer ConferenceJun 1, 2016
- Abstracts are currently being accepted for the 3rd Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference hosted by the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center at Baylor College of Medicine.
- First large-scale proteogenomic study of breast cancer provides insight into potential therapeutic targetsMay 25, 2016
- Researchers completed the first large-scale “proteogenomic” study of breast cancer, linking DNA mutations to protein signaling and helping pinpoint the genes that drive cancer.
- Breast cancer tumor-initiating cells use mTOR signaling to recruit suppressor cells to promote tumor growthMay 16, 2016
- Baylor College of Medicine researchers report a new mechanism that helps cancer cells engage myeloid-derived suppressor for growth.
- Dr. Xiang Zhang awarded prestigious Department of Defense grant for breast cancer research Mar 15, 2016
- Dr. Xiang Zhang has been awarded the Department of Defense’s 2015 Breast Cancer Research Program Era of Hope Scholar Award to further study metastatic breast cancer.
- Expedited diagnostic process reduces anxiety over breast cancer diagnosisOct 30, 2015
- At the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center at Baylor College of Medicine, imaging specialists have developed a program to expedite the process, reducing weeks to a mere few days, helping patients cope with the stress and anxiety that accompany the process.
- Making sense of revised breast cancer screening guidelinesOct 21, 2015
- Baylor College of Medicine experts encourage every woman to take a proactive role in knowing and understanding their risk for breast cancer.
- City recognizes Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day Oct 13, 2015
- Baylor College of Medicine joins City of Houston and local organizations in recognizing awareness for metastatic breast cancer.
- 3D mammography most effective technology available for breast cancer screeningOct 9, 2015
- Three-dimensional digital breast tomography, or 3D mammography, is the most effective technology available for early detection of breast cancer, said experts in the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center at Baylor College of Medicine.