Breast Center Newsletters
Male breast cancer survivor wants men to hear his story - July 9, 2015
One survivor is sharing his story about his battle with breast cancer and has a warning for every man.
- Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference seeks abstractsYesterday
- The Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference is currently seeking abstracts for consideration at the annual conference on Oct. 12 – 13, 2017 at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Avon grant supports breast care services for underservedMay 8, 2017
- Following the annual Avon 39 walk, the Avon Foundation for Women presented Baylor with a grant for $100,000 to support the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center’s Pink 4 Life project.
- New technique tests therapies for breast cancer metastasis Apr 21, 2017
- A new laboratory technique can rapidly test the effectiveness of treatments for life-threatening breast cancer metastases in bone.
- Novel approach can reveal better breast cancer treatmentsMar 28, 2017
- Researchers have developed a new way to approach breast cancer treatment by seeking to neutralize specific biological growth drivers.
- Scalp cooling effective in reducing hair loss during chemoFeb 14, 2017
- Dr. Julie Nangia reports the results of her research studying the effectiveness of scalp cooling therapy in reducing hair loss in women undergoing chemotherapy.
- Breast cancer researchers receive $900,000 to support study of treatment resistance, drug efficacyDec 28, 2016
- Dr. Meghashyam Kavuri and Dr. Xi Chen have been awarded grants from the Susan G. Komen Foundation to support their breast cancer research.
- Scalp-cooling device cuts hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapyDec 9, 2016
- A scalp cooling cap has been shown to effective in reducing hair loss in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Promising results shown from combination therapy in HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancerDec 8, 2016
- A new study reveals the efficacy and safety of treating HER2-positive and hormone receptor-positive metastatic or local advanced breast cancer with pertuzumab in combination with trastuzumab, along with an aromatase inhibitor.
- NSABP B52 trial shows estrogen deprivation in neoadjuvant chemotherapy breast cancer treatment is not antagonistic to pathologic complete responseDec 8, 2016
- Research by Dr. Mothaffar F. Rimawi he finds that adding an aromatase inhibitor to presurgery breast cancer treatment did not significantly increase or decrease the percentage of patients who experienced a pathologic complete response.
- Unraveling what happens inside a tumor; new method opens opportunities to improve diagnosis and treatmentNov 17, 2016
- New strategy allows researchers to identify the different types of cells in the tumor and to unveil how the interactions between cancer and normal cells may shape the fate of the tumor.
- Stiletto Strut raises $60,000 to support breast cancer researchOct 31, 2016
- The 2016 Stiletto Strut event, sponsored by Neiman Marcus, raised more than $60,000 to support breast cancer research being conducted at Baylor College of Medicine’s Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center.
- Baylor welcomes new McNair Scholar, Dr. Bing ZhangOct 31, 2016
- Dr. Bing Zhang, a computational biologist with a focus on cancer bioinformatics, has been named the newest McNair Scholar at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Breast reconstruction after cancer offers chance for patients to feel good in their own skin by using their own abdominal tissueOct 19, 2016
- Plastic surgeon Dr. Sebastian Winocour discusses options for breast reconstruction following cancer, including using a patient's own abdominal tissue.
- Baylor College of Medicine Honors Breast Cancer Awareness MonthOct 10, 2016
- Baylor College of Medicine will host a special panel discussion in honor of Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day on Oct. 13.
- Scientists uncover mechanism that can explain breast cancer resistance to hormone therapy, point to potential therapiesOct 3, 2016
- Scientists study potential therapies for breast cancer tumors resistant to hormone therapy.
- Local breast cancer foundation gifts $20,000 donation to support clinical trialsOct 3, 2016
- The Kathy S. Harkey Breast Cancer Foundation presented a check to Baylor College of Medicine in support of its efforts to develop and execute clinical trials in the quest for a breast cancer cure.
- Baylor College of Medicine welcomes Dr. Stacey CarterAug 26, 2016
- Dr. Stacey Carter joins the Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center and the Department of Surgery as an assistant professor.
- President Obama names Margaret Spitz to National Cancer Advisory BoardAug 12, 2016
- Renowned expert in molecular epidemiology Dr. Margaret Spitz to advocate for cancer prevention and health disparities on the National Cancer Advisory Board.
- Sedgwick receives award celebrating professionalism in medicineAug 11, 2016
- Dr. Emily Sedgwick has been named the 2016 recipient of the Ben and Margaret Love Foundation Bobby Alford Award for Academic Clinical Professionalism.
- Research reveals patients can have more than one breast cancer and points at strategies to treat themAug 9, 2016
- Researchers identify that a majority of ER-positive breast cancers are actually a family of related tumors which could lead to new treatment plans.