The entire application is designed to give students from different universities an opportunity to highlight their strengths. We have a large selection committee composed of Baylor College of Medicine faculty who spend a lot of time reviewing the applications and selecting applications.
Please read through all of our FAQs and the application components before attempting to complete the Online Application. Have all of your materials ready before starting the application - there is no pause/save for incomplete applications. If you are a freshman, laboratory experience outside of high school and college course work is required for acceptance.
Transcripts and GPA
Transcripts: All unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended must be uploaded on the application. You do not need to submit transcripts from previous colleges you attended IF the LETTER grades appear on your current transcript. You will be required to submit an OFFICIAL copy only if you are selected to participate in the program.
GPA: This calculation must be completed by all applicants whose schools do not provide a calculated GPA on the transcript or whose schools use a system that awards other than 4 grade points for an "A". The calculated GPA should be recorded on the electronic application in the designated position.
If your school(s) provide(s) a calculated GPA with a standard 1-4 point system, you do not need to recalculate your GPA, but you do need to record the GPA provided on your transcript in the designated position on the electronic application.
To calculate GPA:
1. For each college course in which you have received a letter grade assign the following point value to each grade:
A=4 B=3 C=2 D=1 F=0
2. For each course in which you received a letter grade, multiply the point value by the number of credit hours. For example an A in a 3 credit (hour) course would be worth 12 grade points.
3. Add the total number of grade points = points x credits.
4. Add the total number of credits.
5. To get the average GPA, divide the answer in #3 by the answer in #4.
6. To be qualified to apply to the SMART Program your GPA should be between 3.0 and 4.0.
Record the calculated GPA on the SMART Program application
Statement of Career Objectives (limit 100 words)
Research Statement: Explain how your prior or new research has or will benefit you. (limit 500 words)
An email will be automatically sent to the references you list on your application AFTER you complete the application and submit it. Letter writers are asked to complete the Reference Form and write a recommendation letter for you. All Letters are due by Jan. 1, 2019. Two (2) letters of recommendation are required. Here is the order of preference if available.
- If you have previously worked at Baylor College of Medicine, a letter is required from your Baylor research mentor.
- If you have previous research experience from either your home campus or an off campus facility, a letter is required from the faculty member.
- If you do not have research experience then you must submit two letters from faculty members from your home campus.
OPTIONAL: Please describe obstacles you have overcome in your life to obtain an education (limit 500 words).
Certify and Submit
By typing your name, you are certifying the information in your application is true and complete. Submit!
Timeline to Acceptance
Last year, we received more than 700 completed applications and we considered each application. The application is due on Jan. 1, 2019. Applications are reviewed and selected by a committee of faculty and staff. We accept applicants beginning in mid-February. The review process is usually completed by the end of March and successful applicants are notified via phone and e-mail.
Applicants who were not selected are welcome to apply next year, provided they still satisfy the application criteria.