Carolyn L. Smith, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Ph.D., University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
- Postdoctoral, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Negative regulation of estrogen receptor function and gene expression
- Molecular pharmacology of steroid receptors
- Mechanisms of action of coactivators and corepressors
- Tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer
- Estrogen receptor-based therapies for bladder cancer
- Renal system disorders
- Molecular mechanisms
- Peterson TJ, Karmakar S, Pace MC, Gao T, Smith CL. The silencing mediator of retinoic acid and thyroid hormone receptor (SMRT) corepressor is required for full estrogen receptor-α transcriptional activity. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 2007. 27:5933-48.
- Sonpavde G, Okuno N, Weiss H, Yu J, Shen SS, Younes M, Jian W, Lerner SP, Smith CL. Efficacy of selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) in nude mice bearing human transitional cell carcinoma. Urology. 2007. 69:1221-6.
- Jaber BM, Gao T, Huang L, Karmakar S, Smith CL. The pure estrogen receptor antagonist ICI 182,780 promotes a novel interaction of estrogen receptor-α with the 3', 5'-cyclin adenosine monophosphate response element-binding protein-binding protein/p300 coactivators. Molecular Endocrinology. 2006. 20:2695-710.
- Shen S, Smith CL, Hsieh JT, Yu J, Kim IY, Jian W, Sonpavde G, Ayala G, Younes M, Lerner SP. Expression of estrogen receptor α and β in bladder cancer cell lines and human bladder tumor tissue. Cancer. 2006.106:2610-6.
- Labhart P, Karmakar S, Salicru EM, Egan BS, Alexiadis V, O'Malley BW, Smith CL. Identification of target genes in breast cancer cells directly regulated by the SRC-3/AIB1 coactivator. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U S A. 2005. 102:1339-44.
- Jaber B, Mukopadhyay R, Smith CL. Estrogen receptor-alpha interaction with the CBP coactivator is regulated by the cellular environment. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology. 2004. 32:307-23.
- Narayanan R, Allen MR, Stafinsky J, Gaddy D, Bloomfield SA, Smith CL, Weigel NL. Differential skeletal responses of hindlimb unloaded rats on a vitamin D-deficient diet to 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its analog, seocalcitol (EB1089). Bone. 2004. 35:134-43.