John W. Belmont, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics
- M.D., Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency, Pediatrics, Children's National Medical Center
- Residency, Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
- Fellowship, Medical Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine
- Human cardiovascular malformations – hypoplastic left heart syndrome, CHARGE syndrome, heterotaxy
- Genetic correlates of response to vaccines and infectious diseases – influenza and acute viral respiratory disease
- Human complex traits – response to severe childhood malnutrition, childhood obesity
- Cardiovascular genetics
- Birth defects and developmental disabilities
- Bucasas KL, Franco LM, Shaw CA, Bray MS, Wells JM, Niño D, et al. Early patterns of gene expression correlate with the humoral immune response to influenza vaccination in humans. J Infect Dis. 2011 Apr 1;203(7):921-9.
- Fakhro KA, Choi M, Ware SM, Belmont JW, Towbin JA, Lifton RP, et al. Rare copy number variations in congenital heart disease patients identify unique genes in left-right patterning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Feb 15;108(7):2915-20.
- Kuang SQ, Guo DC, Prakash SK, McDonald ML, Johnson RJ, Wang M, et al. Recurrent chromosome 16p13.1 duplications are a risk factor for aortic dissections. PLoS Genet. 2011 Jun;7(6):e1002118.
- Merveille AC, Davis EE, Becker-Heck A, Legendre M, Amirav I, Bataille G, et al. CCDC39 is required for assembly of inner dynein arms and the dynein regulatory complex and for normal ciliary motility in humans and dogs. Nat Genet. 2011 Jan;43(1):72-8.
- Prakash SK, LeMaire SA, Guo DC, Russell L, Regalado ES, Golabbakhsh H, et al. Rare copy number variants disrupt genes regulating vascular smooth muscle cell adhesion and contractility in sporadic thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections. Am J Hum Genet. 2010 Dec 10;87(6):743-56.
- Frazer KA, Ballinger DG, Cox DR, Hinds DA, Stuve LL, Gibbs RA, Belmont JW, et al. A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs. Nature. 2007 Oct 18;449(7164):851-61.
- Zhu L, Harutyunyan KG, Peng JL, Wang J, Schwartz RJ, Belmont JW. Identification of a novel role of ZIC3 in regulating cardiac development. Hum Mol Genet. 2007 Jul 15;16(14):1649-60.