Biykem Bozkurt, M.D., Ph.D.
Mary and Gordon Cain Chair and Professor
Department of Medicine - Cardiology
Chief of Cardiology, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
Director of Winters Center for Heart Failure Research
- M.D., University of Istanbul, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
- Residency, Medical Chief, VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
- Fellowship, Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
- Fellowship, Heart Failure-Cardiac Transplantation, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Ph.D., Clinical Scientist Training Program NIH K-30, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston TX
Dr. Bozkurt is engaged in clinical and translational research in heart failure. She is the recipient of a VA Career Development Grant Award, a VA MERIT entry level grant award. She currently receives federal grant support from the National Institute of Health as the associate director of the Clinical Scientist Training Program at Baylor College of Medicine and also as a principal investigator in cardiovascular research. She has conducted preclinical and clinical research projects studying the role of pro-inflammatory cytokines in heart failure, which led to the development of the Phase II and the multicenter randomized international clinical trials of soluble TNF receptor fusion protein as therapy in patients with advanced heart failure. She has conducted numerous clinical trials in heart failure and her recent work has focused on the mechanisms of improvement in LV function, reversal of remodeling, cardiac metabolism and insulin resistance with beta-blockers, predictors of outcomes in heart failure patients and salivary biomarkers of injury and remodeling in cardiovascular patients.
- Mechanisms of improvement in LV function
- Reversal of remodeling
- Cardiac metabolism and insulin resistance
- Salivary biomarkers of injury and remodeling in cardiovascular patients
- Predictors of outcomes in heart failure patients
- Aguilar D, Deswal A, Ramasubbu K, Mann DL, Bozkurt B. Comparison of patients with heart failure and preserved left ventricular ejection fraction among those with versus without diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol. 2010. 105(3):373-7.
- Dhaliwal AS, Bredikis A, Habib G, Carabello BA, Ramasubbu K, Bozkurt B. Digoxin and clinical outcomes in systolic heart failure patients on contemporary background heart failure therapy. Am J Cardiol. 2008. 102(10):1356-60.
- Deswal A, Bozkurt B. Comparison of morbidity in women versus men with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction. Am J Cardiol. 2006. 97(8):1228-31.
- Bozkurt B, Agoston I, Knowlton AA, Complications of inappropriate use of spironolactone in heart failure: when an old medicine spirals out of new guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003. 41(2):211-4.
- Bozkurt B, Torre-Amione G, Warren MS, Whitmore J, Soran OZ, Feldman AM, Mann DL. Results of targeted anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy with etanercept (ENBREL) in patients with advanced heart failure. Circulation. 2001. 103(8):1044-7.
- Bozkurt B, Villaneuva FS, Holubkov R, Tokarczyk T, Alvarez RJ Jr, MacGowan GA, Murali S, Rosenblum WD, Feldman AM, McNamara DM. Intravenous immune globulin in the therapy of peripartum cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999. 34(1):177-80.
- Bozkurt B, Kribbs SB, Clubb FJ Jr, Michael LH, Didenko VV, Hornsby PJ, Seta Y, Oral H, Spinale FG, Mann DL. Pathophysiologically relevant concentrations of tumor necrosis factor-alpha promote progressive left ventricular dysfunction and remodeling in rats. Circulation. 1998. 97(14):1382-91.