Arvind Rao, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
B.E., Electronics and Communications, Bangalore University, 2001
M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2003
M.A., Statistics, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2007
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering: Systems and Bioinformatics, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2008
Our group is interested in the application and development of machine learning and image processing methods to analyze image data across biological scales and derive predictive models to relate imaging and genomic features. Our group is looking for Ph.D. students who would like to pursue bioinformatics projects in image analysis as well as its integration with genomic data. Our image analysis projects go across scale, ecompassing subcellular to organ scale data.
Systematically quantitate differences in cellular morphologies under various conditions. We are currently adapting these frameworks to single-cell and cryo-EM images.
Combine gene expression with image information (single cell, high content, and histopathology) to find pathways in altered disease.
- Rao A, States DJ, Hero AO, Engel JD. Understanding distal transcriptional regulation from sequence, expression and interactome perspectives. J Bioinform Comput Biol, 8(2):219-46 (2010). PubMed
- Newberg JY, Li J, Rao A, Pontén F, Uhlén M, Lundberg E, and Murphy RF. Automated Analysis of Human Protein Atlas Immunofluorescence Images. Proc IEEE Int Symp Biomed Imaging, 5193229:1023-1026 (2009). PubMed
- Buck TE, Rao A, Coelho LP, Furhman MH, Jarvik JW, Berget PB and Murphy RF. Cell cycle dependence of protein subcellular location inferred from static, asynchornous images. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2009:1016-9 (2009). PubMed
- Rao A, Hero AO, States DJ and Engel JD. Using directed information to build biologically relevant influence networks. J Bioinform Comput Biol, 6(3):493-519 (2008). PubMed
- Hasegawa SL, Moriguchi T, Rao A, Kuroha T, Engel JD and Lim KC. Dosage-dependent rescue of definitive nephrogenesis by a distant Gata3 enhancer. Dev Biol, 301(2):568-77 (2007). Pub Med
- Rao A, Hero AO, States DJ and Engel JD. Inferring time-varying network topologies from gene expression data. EURASIP J Bioinform Syst Biol, 51947 (2007). PubMed
- Rao A, Hero AO, States DJ and Engel JD. Motif discovery in tissue-specific regulatory sequences using directed information. EURASIP J Bioinform Syst Biol, 13853 (2007). PubMed
For more publications, see listing on PubMed.
Department: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Address: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Unit Number: 1410
Room Number: FCT4.6096
Houston, TX 77030