Jun Liu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
University of Texas- Houston Medical School
Ph.D., Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Our laboratory is interested in 3-D structure/function of molecular machines in living cells. Recently, we developed two model systems (Lyme disease spirochete and E.coli minicell) to study bacterial flagellar motor, chemotaxis machinery and bacteriophage infection by using high throughput cryo-electron tomography and subvolume analysis. Our research projects are currently funded by NIH/NIAID and Welch Foundation.
- Hu B, Margolin W, Molineux IJ and Liu J. The bacteriophage t7 virion undergoes extensive structural remodeling during infection. Science, 339(6119):576-9 (2013). PubMed
- Liu J, Hu B, Morado DR, Jani S, Manson MD and Margolin W. Molecular architecture of chemoreceptor arrays revealed by cryoelectron tomography of Escherichia coli minicells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 109(23):E1481-8 (2012). PubMed
- Raddi G, Morado DR, Yan J, Haake DA, Yang XF and Liu J. Three-dimensional structures of pathogenic and saprophytic Leptospira species revealed by cryo-electron tomography. J Bacteriol, 194(6):1299-306 (2012). PubMed
- Fu X, Walter MH, Paredes A, Morais MC and Liu J. The mechanism of DNA ejection in the Bacillus anthracis spore-binding phage 8a revealed by cryo-electron tomography. Virology, 421(2):141-8 (2011). PubMed
- Liu J, Chen Y, Shiomi D, Niki H and Margolin W. Visualization of bacteriophage P1 infection by cryo-electron tomography of tiny Escherichia coli. Virology, 417(2):304-11 (2011). PubMed
- Liu J, Wright ER and Winkler H. 3D visualization of HIV virions by cryoelectron tomography. Methods Enzymol, 483:267-90 (2010). PubMed
- Liu J, Howell JK, Bradley SD, Zheng Y, Zhou ZH, and Norris SJ. Cellular architecture of Treponema pallidum: novel flagellum, periplasmic cone, and cell envelope as revealed by cryo electron tomography. J Mol Biol, 403(4):546-61 (2010). PubMed
For more publications, see listing on PubMed.
Department: Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Address: University of Texas- Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin, MSB 2.228
Houston, TX 77030
Additional Links: http://www.uth.tmc.edu/pathology/faculty/faculty-Liu-Jun.html