Steve Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics
Baylor College of Medicine
B.S. Physics, Caltech(1990)
M.A. Physics, Rice University(1993)
Ph.D. Physics, Rice University(1996)
Dr. Ludtke's work focuses on electron cryomicroscopy and scientific image processing. While much of his group's focus is on computational work, as codirector of the National Center for Macromolecular Imaging, Dr. Ludtke also has access to all of the NCMI facilities, and his lab does experimental work as well. His interests cover a wide range of techniques in this field, but single particle reconstruction is my primary focus, and my major contribution to the field is the development of EMAN, a software suite for processing images of individual molecules and producing 3D structures at subnanometer resolution. This is extremely computationally intensive work, and his lav have several large in-house Linux clusters used in processing and development. His other interests include development of ontology-based scientific databases and scientific visualization and animation. He is involved in a wide range of collaborative biological projects including chaperonins, protein-lipid interactions, ribosomes, ion channels, and many others.
- Murray SC, Flanagan J, Popova OB, Chiu W, Ludtke SJ and Serysheva II. Validation of Cryo-EM Structure of IP3R1 Channel. Structure, 21(6):900-9 (2013). PubMed
- Tolun G, Makhov AM, Ludtke SJ and Griffith JD. Details of ssDNA annealing revealed by an HSV-1 ICP8-ssDNA binary complex. Nucleic Acids Res, 41(11):5927-37 (2013). PubMed
- Rees I, Langley E, Chiu W and Ludtke SJ. EMEN2: an object oriented database and electronic lab notebook. Microsc Microanal, 19(1):1-10 (2013). PubMed
- Ludtke SJ, Lawson CL, Kleywegt GJ. Berman H and Chiu W. The 2010 cryo-em modeling challenge. Biopolymers, 97(9):651-4, (2012). PubMed
- Baker MR, Rees I, Ludtke SJ, Chiu W and Baker ML. Constructing and validating initial Cα models from subnanometer resolution density maps with pathwalking. Structure, 20(3):450-63, (2012). PubMed
- Ludtke SJ, Tran TP, Ngo QT, Moiseenkova-Bell VY, Chiu W and Serysheva II. Flexible architecture of IP3R1 by Cryo-EM. Structure, 19(8):1192-9, (2011). PubMed
- Ludtke SJ, Lawson CL, Kleywegt GJ, Berman HM and Chiu W. Workshop on the Validation and Modeling of Electron Cryo-microscopy Structures of Biological Nanomachines-Workshop Introduction. Pac Symp Biocomput, 369-73, (2011). PubMed
For more publications, see listing on PubMed.
Department: Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics
Address: Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, Texas 77030
Additional Links: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, National Center for Macromolecular Imaging