Chiang-Hwa Kiang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Physics and Astronomy
B.S., National Taiwan University
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology
Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Our research focuses on understanding the interactions of biological molecules. We use atomic force microscopy to study the forces between and within single biological molecules. The development of single-molecule techniques to studying molecular properties at the molecular level has expanded our understanding on the details of how biology and medicine function at the microscopic level. We are studying proteins and DNA mechanics as well as developing new nanomanipulation techniques to study the properties of single-molecules.
- Wijeratnew SS, Botello E, Yeh HC, Zhou Z, Bergeron AL, Frey EW, Patel JM, Nolasco L, Turner NA, Moake JL, Dong JF and Kiang CH. Mechanical activation of a multimeric adhesive protein through domain conformational change. Phys Rev Lett, 110(10):108102 (2013). PubMed
- Frey EW, Gooding AA, Wijeratne S and Kiang CH. Understanding the phsyics of DNA using nanoscale single-molecule manipulation. Front Phys, 7(5):576-581 (2012). PubMed
- Chen WS, Chen WH, Chen Z, Gooding AA, Lin KJ and Kiang CH. Direct Observation of Multiple Pathways of Single Stranded DNA Stretching. Phys Rev Lett, 105:218104 (2010). PubMed
- Botello E, Harris NC, Sargent J, Chen WH, Lin KJ and Kiang CH. Temperature and Chemical Denaturant Dependence of Forced-Unfolding of Titin I27. J Phys Chem B, 113(31):10845-8 (2009). PubMed
- Calderon CP, Chen WH, Lin KH, Harris NC and Kiang CH. Quantifying DNA melting transitions using single-molecule force spectroscopy. J Phys Condens Matter, 21(3):34114 (2009). PubMed
- Harris NC and Kiang CH. Velocity convergence of free energy surfaces from single-molecule measurements using Jarzynski's equality. Phys Rev E Stat nonlin Soft Matter Phys, 79(4 Pt 1):041912 (2009). PubMed
- Calderon CP, Harris NC, Kiang CH and Cox DD. Analyzing single-molecule manipulation experiments. J Mol Recognit, 22(5):356-62 (2009). PubMed
For more publications, see listing on PubMed.
Department: Department of Physics & Astronomy and Department of Bioengineering
Address: Rice University
6100 Main St. MS61
Houston, TX 77005-1892
Additional Links: Rice University