Research Facilities and Organizations
A unique aspect of this program is the affiliation of the participating faculty members with a number of research centers. These include:
- W.M. Keck Center for Computational and Structural Biology
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Human Genome Sequencing Center
- National Center for Macromolecular Imaging
- Institute for Molecular Design
- Center for Research on Parallel Computation
- Bioinformatics Research Laboratory
- Human Neuroimaging Laboratory
- Center for Protein Folding Machinery
- The Gulf Coast Consortia
Students will have ample opportunity to work in any of these research centers and interact with predoctoral and postdoctoral fellows and staff members.
There are symposia, workshops, seminars, journal clubs, and informal discussion groups sponsored by these various centers. A monthly seminar series is presented by faculty in the SCBMB Program and outside experts throughout the year. A monthly journal club is organized and run by graduate students.
The W.M. Keck Foundation and the National Science Foundation's Computational Biology Training Group have generously supported this program.