Timothy Palzkill, Ph.D.
The Cullen Trust for Higher Education Academic Chair
Professor and Chair, Pharmacology
Professor, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Baylor College of Medicine
B.S., Biology, Creighton University (1983)
Ph.D., Genetics, University of Iowa (1988)
Protein structure and function studies on bacterial enzymes responsible for antibiotic resistance. These enzymes include beta-lactamases which catalyze the hydrolysis of penicillins and cephalosporins as well as a transpeptidase enzyme (PBP2a) from the bacterial pathogen Staphylococcus aureus which provides resistance to virtually all beta-lactam antibiotics.
Functional genomics studies on Treponema pallidum, the causative agent of syphilis. High-throughput techniques have been used to clone >95% of the open reading frames of this organism into protein expression vectors as well as vectors for phage display and two-hybrid analysis. These gene sets are being used to identify important antigens during T. pallidum infections and to map protein-protein interactions on the surface of the organism.
- Brown NH, Chow DC and Palzkill T. BLIP-II is a Highly Potent Inhibitor of Klebsiella pneumoniae Carbapenemase (KPC-2). Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 57(7):3398-401 (2013). PubMed
- Muhaxhiri Z, Deng L, Shanker S, Sankaran B, Estes MK, Palzkill T, Song Y and Prasad BV. Structural basis of substrate specificity and protease inhibition in Norwalk virus. J Virol, 87(8):4281-92 (2013). PubMed
- Palzkill T. Metallo-ß-lactamase structure and function. Ann NY Sci, 1277:91-104 (2013). PubMed
- Cai G, Deng L, Fryszcyzn BG, Liu Z, Jiang H, Palzkill T and Song Y. Thermodynamic Investigation of Inhibitor Binding to 1-Deoxy-D-Xylulose-5-Phosphate Reductoisomerase. ACS Med Chem Lett, 3(6):496-500 (2012). PubMed
- Deng Z, Huang W, Bakkalbasi E, Brown NG, Adamski CJ, Rice K, Muzny D, Gibbs RA and Palzkill T. Deep sequencing of systematic combinatorial libraries reveals ß-lactamase sequence constraints at high resolution. J Mol Biol, 424(3-4):150-67 (2012). PubMed
- McWilliams BD, Palzkill T, Weinstock GM and Petrosino JF. Identification of novel and cross-species seroreactive proteins from Bacillus anthracis using a ligation-independent cloning-based, SOS-inducible expression system. Microb Pathog, 53(5-6)250:8 (2012). PubMed
- Chen P, Horton LB, Mikulski RL, Deng L, Sundriyal S, Palzkill T and Song Y. 2-Substituted 4, 5-dihydrothiazole-4-carbixylic acids are novel inhibitors of metallo-ß-lactamases. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 22(19):6229-32 (2012). PubMed
For more publications, see listing on PubMed.
Department: Molecular Virology & Microbiology
Address: Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, Texas 77030