Max Hirshkowitz, Ph.D.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Blvd
Houston, TX 77030
Tufts University, Ph.D.
To provide our patients the highest quality clinical sleep services, to advance knowledge concerning sleep and its disorders through research, to promote professional and public education about sleep and sleep disorders.
Baylor-VAMC Sleep Research Center
The Baylor-VAMC Sleep Research Center's research and technical expertise are nationally recognized. Dr. Hirshkowitz currently chairs the VA Sleep Field Advisory Group and was the Methodology Section editor for the current edition of Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. Clinical research focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders. This includes behavioral, pharmacological, and medical devices used to assess and treat insomnia, sleep-related breathing disorders, circadian rhythm disorders, narcolepsy, and the parasomnias. Changes in the central and autonomic nervous system at sleep onset and as a result of sleep disturbance are mechanisms under study at our laboratory. In addition to the work on sleep disorders, the Baylor & VAMC Sleep Center is a world leader in sleep-related erection (SRE) research, having established standardized SRE evaluation protocols and normative data. Worldwide laboratory SRE methodology is largely based on the protocol developed at our center.
A large number of clinical research projects are always ongoing at our sleep disorders and research center. Our research ranges from federally funded grants to industry-sponsored programs to student research projects. Some of the currently ongoing protocols are listed below.
- Mitler MM, Walsleben J, Sangal RB, Hirshkowitz M. Sleep latency on the maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT) for 530 patients with narcolepsy while free of psychoactive drugs. EEG Clin Neurophysiol 107: 33-8, 1998.
- Hirshkowitz M, Orengo C, Cunningham GR. Androgen replacement: sexual behavior, affect and cognition. Contemporary Endocrinol 13: 307-29, 1999.
- Hirshkowitz M, Moore CA. Computerized and portable sleep recordings. In: Chokroverty S (ed), Sleep Disorders Medicine, 2nd edition. Boston, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann, 237-44, 1999.
- Hirshkowitz M, Cunningham GR. Erectile dysfunction in diabetes. In Taylor SI (ed), Current Review of Diabetes. Philadelphia, PA: Current Medicine, 95-103, 1999.
- Moore CA, Williams RL, Hirshkowitz M. Sleep Disorders. In: Sadock BJ, Sadock VA (eds), Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 7th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 1677-700, 2000.
- Mitler MM, Carskadon MA, Hirshkowitz M. Evaluating sleepiness. In Kryger MH, Roth T, Dement WC (eds), Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 3nd edition, Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1251-7, 2000.
- Hirshkowitz M, Moore CA. Nightmares. In: Fink G (ed.) Encyclopedia of Stress. San Diego: Academic Press, Volume 3, 49-53, 2000.