Susan L. Garber, M.A., O.T.R., F.A.O.T.A., F.A.C.R.M.
Graduate School: Master of Arts in Occupational Therapy, Texas Woman's University, Denton, Texas, 1983
Certification/Licensure: Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners
National Board of Certification in
- Spinal Cord Injury -Pressure Ulcers - Assistive Technology
- National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy
Clinical and Research Interest:
- Spinal Cord Injury - Pressure Ulcers - Assistive Technology - Rehabilitation Outcomes
Significant Professional Activities:
- Institute of Medicine, 75 percent Rule Panel
- Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Manuscript Reviewer
- American Journal of Occupational Therapy, Manuscript Reviewer
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Manuscript Reviewer
- Board Member - National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel
- Manuscript Reviewer - Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Advances in Skin Wound Care, Journal of Rehab - Research and Development
- Grant Reviewer - Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation
- Member - Clinical Practice Guideline Panels AHCPR
- Chair - Clinical Practice Guideline Panel
Garber SL, Rintala DH, Hart KA, and Fuhrer MJ: Pressure ulcer risk in spinal cord injury: Predictors of ulcer status over three years. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 81:465-471, 2000.
Bodenheimer C, Kerrigan A, Garber SL, and Monga TN: Sexuality in persons with lower extremity amputations. Disability and Rehabilitation, 22:409-415, 2000.
Monga U, Kerrigan AJ, Garber SL, Monga TN. Pre- and post-radiotherapy sexual functioning in prostate cancer patients. Journal of Sexuality and Disability, 19:239-252, 2001.
Garber SL, Bunzel R, and Monga TN: Wheelchair utilization and satisfaction following cerebral vascular accident. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 39:521-534, 2002.
Garber SL, Rintala DH, Holmes SA, Rodriguez GP, Friedman J. A structured educational model to improve pressure ulcer prevention knowledge in veterans with spinal cord dysfunction. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 39:575-588, 2002.
Garber SL, Rintala DH. Pressure ulcers in veterans with spinal cord injury: A retrospective study. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 40:433-442, 2003.
Garber SL. Wounds in special populations: spinal cord injury population. In: Baranoski S, Ayello EA (Eds.) Wound Care Essentials Practice Principals. Springhouse, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004.
Garber SL, Gregorio-Torres TL. Spinal cord injury. In: Christiansen C (Ed.) Ways of Living – Adaptive Strategies for Special Needs (3rd edition). Bethesda, American Occupational Therapy Association Inc., 2004.
Susan L. Garber, M.A.
Baylor College of Medicine
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
1709 Dryden Rd., Ste. 1200
Houston, Texas 77030