Mariam R. Chacko, M.D.
Professor, Department Pediatrics
Medical Director, Baylor Teen Health Clinics
Clinical Service Area
Adolescent & Sports Medicine
Pediatrics, Adolescent Medicine
Christian Medical College, University of Punjab, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Pediatrics, Baltimore City Hospitals, Baltimore, Maryland
Adolescent Medicine, University of Maryland Hospital, Baltimore
General adolescent health problems, medical gynecology, obesity, eating disorders
Young women's health, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention
Current Research and Funding
- Chacko (Principal Investigator, Subcontract, Markham (PI) 9/01/2008 - 3/31/2011, D.H.H.S.; Evaluation of Abstinence-Only and Abstinence-Plus HIV, STI and Pregnancy Prevention for Middle School Students. This study is a three-arm randomized controlled trial following a cohort of 7th grade students to evaluate the impact of curriculum on the prevelance of STIs in 10th grade.
- Disseminating and monitoring quality health services to young women in Title X-funded clinics
- Implementing and sustaining school-based clinics in high schools.
- Needham HE, Wiemann CM, Tortolero SR, Chacko MR. Relationship Between Health Literacy, Reading Comprehension, and Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) in Young Women. J Adolesc Health, 2010;46: 506-8.
- Chacko MR, Wiemann C, Kozinetz C, Smith PB, Velasquez M, von Sternberg K, DiClemente R. Efficacy of a stage-based behavioral intervention to promote chlamydia and gonorrhea screening in young women. A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Adolesc Health, 2010;46: 152-61.
- Wiemann CM, Chacko MR, Kozinetz C, DiClemente R, Velasquez M, Smith PB, von Sternberg K. Predictors of Condom Use Among Young Women with a Main Old and Main New Partner. J Adolesc Health, epub 2009;45; 296 -9.
- Chacko MR, von Sternberg K, Velasquez M, Wiemann C, Smith PB, DiClemente R. Young Women's Perspective of the Pros and Cons to Seeking Screening for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea: An Exploratory Study, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2008;21:187.
- Chacko MR, Wiemann C, Kozinetz C, DiClemente R, Smith P, Velasquez M, von Sternberg K. New Sexual Partners and Readiness to Seek Screening for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea: Predictors Among Young Women. Sex Transm Infect 2006;2:75.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Society of Adolescent Medicine – Board of Directors 2001 - 2004; Chair, ad hoc Advocacy Strategic Planning Committee 2009
- North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Woman of the Year in Medicine, Science and Technology, 22nd Annual YWCA Women’s Luncheon, Houston, Texas, 2000
- Fulbright and Jaworski Faculty Excellence Award – Teaching and Evaluation, Baylor College of Medicine, 2003
Houston, TX 77030-2399
Adolescent & Sports Medicine Service
Texas Children's Clinical Care Center, 11th floor
6701 Fannin St.
Houston, Texas 77030-2399