Lefkothea Karaviti, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Medical School, National University of Athens Medical School, Greece
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of California School of Medicine
- Established a gender medicine multidisciplinary team consisting of an endocrinologist, urologist, geneticist, neonatologist, ethicist, and psychologist to care for children born with ambiguous genitalia.
- Collaborated on several studies, including the establishment of a clinical research program to investigate the use of insulin pumps in toddlers with type 1 diabetes.
- Currently involved in a collaborative investigation into the relationship between executive functioning and the control of type 1 diabetes in adolescents.
- Interests include translating clinical problems, such as thyroid disease, pituitary abnormalities, and congenital adrenal hyperplasia into research questions/studies
TCH Baylor Internal Funding
- Douglas G, Axelrad ME, Brandt ML, Crabtree E, Dietrich JE, French S, Gunn S, Karaviti L, Lopez ME, Macias CG, McCullough LB, Suresh D, Austin E, Reid Sutton V. Guidelines for evaluating and managing children born with disorders of sexual development. Pediatr Ann. 41(4):e1-7, 2012
- Almeida MQ, Azevedo MF, Xekouki P, Bimpaki EI, Horvath A, Collins MT, Karaviti LP, Jeha GS, Bhattacharyya N, Cheadle C, Watkins T, Bourdeau I, Nesterova M, Stratakis CA. Activation of cyclic AMP signaling leads to different pathway alterations in lesions of the adrenal cortex caused by germline PRKAR1A defects versus those due to somatic GNAS mutations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 97(4):E687-93, 2012.
Bercaw-Pratt JL, Moorjani TP, Santos XM, Karaviti L, Dietrich JE. Diagnosis and management of precocious puberty in atypical presentations of McCune-Albright syndrome: a case series review. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. (1):e9-e13, 2012.
- Mendiratta MS, Yang Y, Balazs AE, Willis AS, Eng CM, Karaviti LP, Potocki L. Early onset obesity and adrenal insufficiency associated with a homozygous POMC mutation. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol (1):5, 2011
Douglas G, Axelrad ME, Brandt ML, Crabtree E, Dietrich JE, French S, Gunn S, Karaviti L, Lopez ME, Macias CG, McCullough LB, Suresh D, Sutton VR. Consensus in Guidelines for Evaluation of DSD by the Texas Children's Hospital Multidisciplinary Gender Medicine Team. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol 919707, 2010.