The Lillie Frank Abercrombie Section of Pediatric Cardiology
The Section of Pediatric Cardiology at Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine is one of the largest in the world, with expertise in all areas of clinical cardiology and a productive research program. The Section of Pediatric Cardiology serves the children of Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, as well as children across the United States and around the world.
U.S. News and World Report for 2012-2013 ranked Texas Children's among America's best in all ten specialty areas that were evaluated. Texas Children's is a 469-bed children's general facility with 21,744 admissions in the most recent year reported. It performed 8,655 annual inpatient and 14,349 outpatient surgeries. Its emergency room had 82,049 visits. Texas Children's is a teaching hospital. It is accredited by the Joint Commission.
The Heart Center at Texas Children’s offers leading patient care, with cutting-edge scientific discoveries, for children and young adults with heart disease.
- Chief of Pediatric Cardiology Dr. Daniel J. Penny
- Chief of Congenital Heart Surgery Dr. Charles D. Fraser
- Chief of Cardiac Anesthesiology Dr. Dean Androppulos
Clinical Specialty Areas at Texas Children's Hospital
- Adult Congenital Heart Program
- Heart Failure, Cardiomyopathy and Transplantation
- Interventional Cardiac Catheterization
- Non-Invasive Cardiac Imaging and Echocardiography
- Outpatient & Satellite Clinic Locations
The Section of Pediatric Cardiology is engaged in cutting-edge basic science research of the genetic basis of congenital heart disease, sudden cardiac death, heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathies) and arrhythmias, as well as the causes of inflammatory heart disease. This work has led to novel diagnostic tests performed in the CLIA/CAP-certified John Welsh Cardiovascular Diagnostic Laboratory and to new treatments. Along with a surgical team that boasts a 2 percent mortality rate for all surgeries performed, The Heart Center at Texas Children's remains a world-renowned center for the care of children and young adults with heart disease.
Diagnostic and Research Laboratories at Baylor College of Medicine
- John Welsh Cardiovascular Diagnostic Laboratory
- Developmental Genetics Research Laboratory
- Phoebe Willingham Muzzy Pediatric Molecular Cardiology Laboratory