William T. Shearer, M.D., Ph.D. - Faculty
Professor of Pediatrics and Immunology
Departments of Pediatrics and Pathology & Immunology
Ph.D., Wayne State University
M.D., Washington University
Postdoctoral, Washington University, Indiana University, Bloomington
Research Interests: Immunodeficiency
Dr. Shearer is director of the BCM Pediatric HIV Research Center, funded by several National Institutes of Health and private organization grants and contracts. He is a member of the Network Executive Committee of the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials Group, which consists of 14 centers in the United States and 24 international sites, all performing clinical trials of antiretroviral agents, such as protease inhibitors, and immune reagents. He is a member of the Scientific Leadership Group of the Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study, which consists of 32 centers in the United States. He is co-director the Center for AIDS Research, and co-principal investigator of a research study observing possible cardiovascular toxicity of antiretroviral agents in HIV-infected and HIV-exposed children. Dr. Shearer is principal investigator of the Sleep Studies in HIV-positive Older Children/Adolescents, which pursues the interrelationships of sleep, fatigue, asthma, and HIV/AIDS in older children and adolescents infected with HIV-1. He directs the Allergy and Immunology Training Program at BCM, and his research extends to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration spaceflight, which focuses on human space flight models and immune responses.
- Shearer WT. HIV/AIDS: Waiting for a Cure. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008;122:34-35.
- Griffith LM, Cowan MJ, Kohn DB, Notarangelo LD, Puck JM, Schultz KR, Buckley RH, Eapen M, Kamani NR, O’Reilly RJ, Parkman R, Roifman CM, Sullivan KE, Filipovich AH, Fleisher TA, Shearer WT. Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for primary immune deficiency diseases current status and critical needs. J Allergy Clin Immunology 2008;122:1087-96.
- Patel NC, Chinen J, Rosenblatt HM, Hanson IC, Brown BS, Paul ME, Abramson JL, Ritz J, Shearer WT. Long-term outcomes of nonconditioned patients with severe combined immunodeficiency transplanted with HLA-identical or haploidentical bone marrow depleted of T cells with anti-CD6 mAb. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008;122:1185-93.
- Shearer WT, Ochs HD, Lee BN, Cohen EN, Reuben JM, Butel JS, Blancher A, Abbal M, Aviles H, Sonnenfeld G. Immune responses in adult female volunteers during bed-rest model of space flight: antibodies and cytokines. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123, 900-905.
- Tantibhaedhyangkul U, Davis CM, Hanson IC, Noroski LM, Shearer WT, Chinen J. Role of Interleukin-7 in the regulation of T cell homeostasis in partial DiGeorge Syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2009; 123:960-962.
- Nance CL, Siwak EB, Shearer WT. Pre-clinical development of the green tea catechin, epigallocatechin gallate, as an anti-HIV drug. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2009, 123:459-65.
- Aldrovandi GM, Chu C, Shearer WT, Li D, Walter J, Thompson B, McIntosh K, Meyer WA III, Ha BF, Ross LL, Rich KC, Moye J Jr. Antiretroviral exposure and lymphocyte mitochondrial DNA content among uninfected infants born to women infected by Human Immunodeficiency Viru-1. Pediatrics, 2009; 124:e1189-e1197.
- Chinen J, Shearer WT. Secondary immunodeficiencies, including HIV infection. J Allergy Clin Immunol; 2009. in press.
- Patel NC, Chinen J, Rosenblatt HM, Hanson IC, Krance RA, Paul ME, Abramson SL, Noroski LM, Davis CM, Seeborg FO, Foster SB, Leung KS, Brown BS, Ritz J, Shearer WT. Outcomes of severe combined immunodeficiency patients treated with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation with and without pre-conditioning. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2009; 124:1062-1069.
- Griffith LM, Cowan MJ, Notarangelo LD, Puck JM, Buckley RH, Candotti F, Conley ME, Fleisher TA, Gaspar HB, Kohn DB, Ochs HD, O’Reilly RJ, Rizzo JD, Roifman CM, Small TN, Shearer WT. Improving cellular therapy for primary immune deficiency diseases - recognition, diagnosis and management. J Allergy Clin Immunol, in press.
For a complete list of Dr. Shearer's publications, visit PubMed.
William T. Shearer, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology & Immunology
Baylor College of Medicine
Chief, Allergy and Immunology Service
Texas Children's Hospital
Mail and Deliveries:
1102 Bates Street, Suite 330
Houston, TX 77030-2399