Farrah Kheradmand, M.D.
Professor, Departments of Medicine and Pathology & Immunology
Doctor of Medicine: The George Washington University, 1989
Pulmonary Medicine: University of California, San Francisco, 1997
Critical Care Medicine: Stanford University, 1998
My research is focused on understanding the role of innate and adaptive immune cells in the pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory lung diseases in particular, in human Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COPD) and asthma. Our ongoing research has elucidated the critical role that is played by several members of the matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) family in lung inflammation. We have made several seminal observations in the field of allergic airway inflammation (asthma) that include identifying the distinct contributions of MMP2 and MMP9 in regulating clearance of allergic inflammatory cells in the lung. In addition to work on experimental asthma, my laboratory has successfully established human translational research studies in tobacco-smoke related lung disease (COPD and emphysema). Our recent studies have shown the critical role for T cells and Th1 cytokines and chemokines in particular, gamma interferon and CXCL-10 (IP-10), in upregulation of MMP12 that is linked to the development of emphysema. Our translational studies aim to dissect the more proximal molecular and cellular events that lead to the pro-elastolytic lung environment induced by tobacco smoke. Our published studies are among the first to suggest an adaptive immune basis to human COPD/emphysema.
- Greenlee K, Werb Z, Kheradmand F. Matrix metalloprotienases in lung: Multiple, multifarious, and multifaceted. Physiological Reviews 2007; 87: 69-98.
- Seung-Hyo Lee, Sangeeta Goswami , Ariel Grudo, Li-zhen Song, Venkata Bandi, Sheila Goodnight-White Linda Green, Joan Hacken, Joseph Huh, Faisal Bakaeen, Harvey O Coxson, Sebastian Cogswell, Claudine Storness-Bliss, David B. Corry & F Kheradmand. Anti elastin autoimmunity in Tobacco-induced emphysema. Nature Medicine 2007; 13: 567-9.
- David B. Corry & F Kheradmand. A new link to airway obstruction in asthma. Nature Medicine 2007; Jul;13(7):777-8
- Lee S-H, Prince JE, Rais M, Kheradmand F, Ballantyne CM, Weitz-Schmidt G, Smith CW, Corry DB. Developmental Control of Integrin Expression Regulates T Helper Effector Homing. J Immunol 2008 Apr 1;180 (7):4656-67
- Lamhamedi-Cherradi S-E, Martin RE, Ito T, Kheradmand F, Corry DB, Liu YJ, Moyle M. Fungal proteases induce Th2 polarization through limited dendritic cell maturation and reduced production of IL-12. J Immunol 2008 May 1;180 (9):6000-9.
- Kheradmand F, Corry DB. "At Last, An Immune Organ We Can Call Our Own?" Am J of Resp Cell and Mol Biol 2009 Apr 1;179(7):525-7. PMID: 19326572
- Goswami S, Angkasekwinai P, Shan M, Greenlee K, Song Lz, Barranco WT, Polikepahad S, Servshev A, Redding D, Singh B, Sur S, Woodruff P, Dong C, Corry DB, Kheradmand F. Divergent Roles for Airway Epithelial MMP7 and Retinoic Acid in Experimental Asthma. Nature Immunology; 2009 May (10) 496-503. PMID: 19329997
- Porter P, Susarla SC, Polikepahad S, Qian Y, Hampton J, Kiss A, Vaidya, S.Sur, S. Delclos, G.L. Abramson S, Kheradmand F, Corry, D.B.. Link Between Allergic Asthma and Airway Mucosal Infection Suggested by Proteinase-Secreting Household Fungi. Mucosal Immunol. 2009; (In Press).
- Kheradmand F, Shan M, Corry DB. Smoking gun: mature dendritic cells in human lung provide clues to COPD Am J of Resp Cell and Mol Biol 2009 (In Press)
- Shan M, Cheng HF, Song LZ, Roberts L, Green L, Hacken-Bitar J, Huh J, Bakaeen F, Coxson HO, Storness-Bliss C, Ramchandani, M, Lee, SH, Corry, D.B. & Kheradmand, F. Lung Myeloid Dendritic Cells Coordinately Induce Th1 and Th17 Responses in Human Emphysema Science Translational Medicine 2009 (In press).
Baylor College of Medicine:
One Baylor Plaza, Suite 520B
Houston, TX 77030