Nikolai A. Timchenko, Ph.D.Professor
- Molecular Biology
Area of Interest
Professional Positions Held
- Professor, Pathology Department, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, May 2007-Present
- Associate Professor, Pathology Department, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 2002-April 2007
- Assistant Professor, Pathology Department,
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1995-2002
Honors and Awards
- Michael E. DeBakey, M.D. Excellence in Research Award, Nov. 10, 2004
Professional Organization Memberships
- American Society for Biochemistry and
- Molecular Biology
- Iakova P, Awad SS, and Timchenko NA (2003) Aging reduces proliferative capacities of liver by switching pathways of C/EBP growth arrest. Cell 113:495-506.
- Iakova P, Wang G-L, Timchenko LT, Michalak M, Pereira-Smith O, Smith JR, and Timchenko NA. (2004) Competition of CUGBP1 and calreticulin for the regulation of p21 translation determines cell fate. EMBO J. 23:406-417.
- Wang G-L, Iakova P, Wilde M, Awad S, and Timchenko NA. (2004) Liver tumors escape negative control of proliferation via PI3K/Akt-mediated block of C/EBP growth inhibitory activity. Gen & Dev 18:912-925.
- Wang G-L, and Timchenko NA. (2005) Dephosphorylated C/EBP accelerates cell proliferation through sequestering retinoblastoma protein. Mol Cell Biol. 25: 1325-1338.
- Wang G-L, Shi X, Salisbury E, Sun Y, Albrecht JH, Smith RG, and Timchenko NA. (2006) Cyclin D3 maintains growth-inhibitory activity of C/EBP by stabilizing C/EBP-cdk2 and C/EBP-Brm complexes. Mol. Cell Biol 26:2570-2582.
- Timchenko LT, Salisbury E, Wang G-L, Nguyen HD, Albrecht JH, Hershey JWB, and Timchenko NA. (2006) Age-specific CUGBP1-eIF2 complex increases translation of C/EBP in old liver. J Biol Chem. 281: 32806-32819.
- Wang G-L, Shi X, Salisbury E, Sun Y, Albrecht JH, Smith R, Timchenko NA. (2007). Growth Hormone Corrects Proliferation and Transcription of PEPCK in Livers of Old Mice via Elimination of C/EBP-Brm Complex. J. Biol Chem. 282:1468-1478.
- Wang G-L, Salisbury E, Shi X, Timchenko LT, Medrano EE, Timchenko NA (2008). HDAC1 cooperates with C/EBP in the inhibition of liver proliferation in old mice. J Biol Chem. 283; 26196-26178.
- Wang G-L, Salisbury E, Shi X, Timchenko LT, Medrano EE, Timchenko NA. (2008) HDAC1 promotes liver proliferation in young mice via interaction with C/EBP. J Biol Chem., 283; 26179-26187.
- Timchenko NA. (2009) Aging and liver regeneration. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, 20, 171-176.
- Jin J, Wang G-L., Shi X, Darlington GJ, and Timchenko NA (2009). The age-associated decline of GSK3 plays a critical role in the inhibition of liver regeneration. Mol Cell Biol 29:3867-3880.
- Martinez DW, Richards HW, Timchenko NA, Medrano EE (2010) Role of HDAC1 in senescence, aging, and cancer. Experimental Gerontology, 4: 279-285.
- Wang G-L, Shi X, Haefliger S, Jin J, Major A, Iakova P, Finegold M, and Timchenko NA. (2010) Elimination of C/EBP through the ubiquitin-proteasome system promotes the development of liver cancer in mice J. Clin. Invest.120; 2549-2562.
- Orellana D, Liu X, Wang G-l, Jin J, Iakova P, Timchenko NA. (2010) Calmodulin controls liver proliferation via interactions with C/EBP-LAP and C/EBP-LIP. J Biol Chem, 2010, 30:23444-23456.
- Jin J, Iakova P, Wang G-l, Shi X, Haefliger S, Finegold M, Timchenko NA. (2010) Epigenetic changes play critical role in age-associated dysfunction of the liver. Aging Cell, 9: 895-910.
- Iakova P, Timchenko LT, Timchenko NA (2011) Intracellular signaling and hepatocellular carcinoma. Seminars in Cancer Biology, 2; 28-34.
- Jin J, Iakova P, Jiang J, Medrano EE, and Timchenko NA (2011) The reduction of SIRT1 in livers of old mice leads to impaired body homeostasis and to inhibition of liver proliferation. Hepatology, in press.
E-mail this page to a friend