Thomas A. Cooper, M.D.Professor
Clinical Service Area
- B.S. Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA, cum laude with honors, 1973-1977
- M.D. Temple University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA, 1978-1982
- University of California, San Francisco, CA
- Molecular biology
Area of Interest
- Alternative splicing in development and disease
- Professor, Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Professor, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology (joint appointment), Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Honors and Awards
- 1981 NIH Medical Research Trainee predoctoral award
- NRSA Postdoctoral Fellowship (NIH), 1982-1985
- Bank of America Giannini Foundation Postdoctoral Award, 1985-1986
- March of Dimes Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Research Award, 1991-1994
- Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association, 1992-1997
- Blaffer Lecturer, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1998
- Michael E. DeBakey, M.D. Excellence in Research Award, 1999
- Named to the S. Donald Greenberg Chair of Pathology, 2003
Please note that this is a SELECTED list
- Ward, A. and Cooper, T.A. (2010) The pathobiology of alternative splicing. Amer. J. Path. (In press).
- Cooper, T.A. Chemical reversal of the RNA gain of function in myotonic dystrophy. (2009) Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. (In press).
- Wang, G.S., Kuyumcu-Martinez, N.M., Mathur, N., Wehrens, X.H., and Cooper, T.A. (2009) Protein kinase C inhibition ameliorates the cardiac phenotype of a mouse model for myotonic dystrophy, type 1. J. Clin. Invest. (In Press).
- Cooper, T.A., Wan, L., and Dreyfuss, G. RNA and disease. (2009) Cell 136, 777-793.
- Kalsotra, A., Tran, D., Ward, A., Xiao, X., Burge, C.B., Castle, J.M., Johnson, J.C., and Cooper, T.A. (2008) A conserved program of regulated alternative splicing during vertebrate heart development . Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. 105, 20333-20338.
- Castle, J.C., Zhang, C., Shah, J.K, Kulkarni, A.V., Kalsotra, A., Cooper, T.A., and Johnson, J.M. (2008) Differential expression of 24,426 human alternative splicing events and predicted cis-regulation in 48 tissues and cell lines. Nat. Genet. 40, 1416-1425 .
- Orengo, J.P., Chambon, P., Metzger, D., Mosier, D.R. , Snipes, G.J. and Cooper, T.A . (2008) Expanded CTG repeats within the DMPK 3' UTR causes severe skeletal muscle wasting in an inducible mouse model for myotonic dystrophy. Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. 105, 2646-2651 .
- Dhaenens, C.M., Schraen-Maschke, S., Vingtdeux , V., Vanbrussel , E., Leroy, O., Delplanque, J., Tran , H., Delacourte, A., Vermersch, P. , Gruffat, H., Sergeant, A, Mahadevan, M., Ishiura , S., Buée , L:, Cooper, T.A , Caillet-Boudin, M.L., Charlet-Berguerand, N., Sablonnière, B., and Sergeant, N. (2008) Overexpression of MBNL1 fetal isoforms and modified splicing of Tau in the DM1 brain : Two individual consequences of CUG trinucleotide repeats . Experimental Neurology 210, 467-478.
- Chapple, J.P., Anthony, K., Martin, T.R., Cooper, J.D., Cooper, T.A., and Gallo, J-M. (2007) Expression, localization and Tau Exon 10 splicing activity of the brain RNA-binding protein TNRC4. Hum. Mol. Gen. 16, 2760-2769 .
- Kuyumcu-Martinez, N.M., Wang, G.S., and Cooper, T.A. (2007) Increased steady state levels of CUG-BP1 in Myotonic Dystrophy 1 are due to PKC-mediated hyper-phosphorylation. Mol. Cell 28, 68-78.
- Wang, G.S., Kearney, D.L., De Biasi, M., Taffet, G.E., and Cooper, T.A. (2007) Elevation of RNA-binding protein CUGBP1 is an early event in an inducible heart-specific mouse model of myotonic dystrophy. J. Clin. Invest. 117, 2802-2811.
- Cooper, T.A. (2006) A reversal of fortune for myotonic dystrophy? N. Engl. J. Med. 355, 1825-1827.
- Ranum L.P. and Cooper, T.A. (2006) RNA-mediated neuromuscular disorders. Ann. Rev. Neuroscience, 29, 259-277.
- Orengo, J., Bundman, D., and Cooper, T.A. (2006) A bichromatic fluorescent reporter for cell-based screens of alternative splicing Nucl. Acids Res. 34, e148.
- Cooper, T.A. (2005) Alternative splicing regulation impacts heart development. Cell 120, 1-2.
- Ladd, A.N., Taffet, G.E., Hartley, C., Kearney, D.L. and Cooper, T.A. (2005) Cardiac-specific repression of CELF activity disrupts alternative splicing and causes cardiomyopathy. Mol. Cell. Biol. 25, 6267-6278.
- Ho, T., Savkur, R.S., Poulos, M., Mancini., M.M., Swanson, M.S., and Cooper, T.A. (2005) Co-localization of muscleblind with RNA foci is separable from mis-regulation of alternative splicing in myotonic dystrophy. J. Cell Science 118 2923-2933.
- Ladd, A.L. Stenberg, M.G., Swanson, M.S., and Cooper, T.A. (2005) A dynamic balance between activation and repression regulates pre-mRNA alternative splicing during heart development. Dev. Dyn. 233, 783-793.
- Han, J. and Cooper, T.A. (2005) Characterization of CELF splicing activation and repression domains in vivo. Nucl. Acids Res. 33, 2769-2780.
- Ho, T., Bundman, D., Armstrong, D.L., and Cooper, T.A. (2005) Transgenic mice expressing CUG-BP1 reproduce the myotonic dystrophy pattern of splicing. Hum. Mol. Genet. 14, 1539-1547.
- Faustino, N.A. and Cooper, T.A. (2005) Identification of putative new splicing targets for ETR-3 using its SELEX sequences. Mol. Cell. Biol. 25, 879-887.
- Ho, T., Charlet-B., N., Poulos, M., Singh, G., Swanson, M.S., and Cooper, T.A. (2004) Muscleblind proteins regulate alternative splicing. EMBO J. 23, 3103-3112.
- Ladd, A.N. and Cooper, T.A. (2004) Nuclear-cytoplasmic localization of the RNA binding protein ETR-3 is controlled by multiple localization elements. J. Cell Science 117, 3519-3529.
- Savkur, R.S., Philips, A.V., Cooper, T.A., Dalton, J.C., Moseley, M.L., Ranum, L.P.W., Day, J.W. (2004) Insulin receptor splicing alteration in myotonic dystrophy type 2. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 74:13091313.
- Ladd, A.N., Nguyen, N.H. Malhotra, K and Cooper, T.A. (2004) CELF6, a member of the CELF family of RNA binding proteins, regulates MSE-dependent alternative splicing. J. Biol. Chem. 279,17756-17764.
- Faustino, N.A. and Cooper, T.A. (2003) RNA splicing and human disease. Genes Dev. 17, 419-437.