How to Apply to the Ph.D. Program
Our students enjoy:
- Competitive stipend - $29,000
- Optional student teaching
- Guaranteed tuition scholarship/waiver - $11,000
- Health insurance, optional dental insurance
- Completion of required coursework within one year
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Well-funded research programs in all areas of immunology
- Collaborative research environment with internationally recognized research faculty to supervise thesis research
- Houston's low cost of living
Graduate Program Retreat: Each year the fourth year class organizes a retreat. Faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students present talks or posters at this event. Departmental awards are presented for posters and platform presentations.
Immunology Seminar Series: Outstanding scientists from around the world present a lecture and meet with students for lunch and discussion.
Faculty Seminars: Immunology faculty present their current research in a monthly seminar series.
Student Seminars Series: Graduate students present their research at bi-weekly luncheon seminars.
Journal Club: Each week, current articles on topics in immunology are presented by students and discussed in Journal Club
Faculty Chalk Talks: Incoming students are introduced to faculty research interests when faculty members give brief overview of their research interests and current projects in their labs
Application deadline is Jan. 1 for August admission.
- Complete free online application.
- Write a personal statement and research statement.
- Request official transcript(s) A GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended.
- Request three letters of recommendation including one from your current research mentor.
- Official GRE scores (no more than three years old.) General Test is required. Subject Test is strongly recommended.
- Official TOEFL scores are required for foreign applicants who attended a non-English speaking university. Scores must not be more than two years old.
- Applications are evaluated and ranked by a faculty-student committee.
- Selected applicants (12-14) are invited for an expense paid interview and visit.
- The interview weekend for August admission is held between mid February and mid March.