Raye Lynn Alford, Ph.D., F.A.C.M.G.
Coordinator of Academic and Scientific Program Development
- Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, B.S. Biology
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, Ph.D., Biochemistry
- Postdoctoral fellowship:Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
American Board of Medical Genetics, Clinical Molecular Genetics, 1996,
Active in Maintenance of Certification
Genetic hearing loss
- Office Phone Number: 713-798-8599
- E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fang P, Alford RL. Medical genetics and genomics curricula focused on the laboratory specialties. Genet Med 2012;14:349.
- Dhar SU, Alford RL, Nelson EA, Potocki L. Enhancing exposure to genetics and genomics through an innovative medical school curriculum. Genet Med 2012;14:163-7.
- Alford RL. Nonsyndromic hereditary hearing loss. Adv Otorhinolaryngol 2011;70:37-42.
- Alford RL, Darilek SA. Basic medical genetics for the otolaryngologist. Adv Otorhinolaryngol 2011;70:10-17.
- Minor JS, Tang HY, Pereira FA, Alford RL. DNA sequence analysis of SLC26A5, encoding prestin, in a patient-control cohort: identification of fourteen novel DNA sequence variations. PLoS One 2009;4:e5762.
- Tang HY, Basehore MJ, Blakey G, Darilek S, Oghalai JS, Roa BB, Fang P, Alford RL. Infrequency of Two Deletion Mutations at the DFNB1 locus in Patients and Controls. Am J Med Genet Part A. 2008;146A(7):934-936.
Korf BR, Alford RL, Watson MS, Fries MH. CMG Basics: Genetics for Providers - An Educational CME Activity. Interactive CD-ROM. Available through the ACMG.
Tang H-Y, Fang P, Ward PA, Schmitt E, Manolidis S, Oghalai JS, Roa BB, Alford RL. DNA sequence analysis of GJB2, encoding Connexin 26: Observations from a population of hearing impaired cases and variable carrier rates, complex genotypes and ethnic stratification of alleles among controls. Am J Med Genet Part A. 2006;140A:2401-2415.
Tang HY, Xia A, Oghalai JS, Pereira FA, Alford RL. High frequency of the IVS2-2A>G DNA sequence variation in SLC26A5, encoding the cochlear motor protein prestin, precludes its involvement in hereditary hearing loss. BMC Med Genet 2005; Aug 8;6:30.
Alford RL, Morris KE, Rives CM, Scherer SE, Weinstock G, Gibbs RA, Ghonima K, Belcher M, Valdes H, Sumners C, Law C, Reiff P. Genetic testing, biotechnology, and GMOs: a snapshot of public opinion, 2003 through 2004. Genet Med 2005;7(6):454-5.
Alford RL, Sumners C, Wright S, Henderson K, Maxwell C, Gassmann D, Ghonima K, Bradley K, Valdes H, Greig N, Wise J, Van Tuerenhout D, Brooks DM, Temple D, Morris KE, Rives CM, Scherer SE, Weinstock G, Gibbs RA, McDonald R. The living genome: reading the book of life -- a model for community-based genetics education. Biol Dig 2004;31(3):10-7.
Riegert-Johnson DL, Korf BR, Alford RL, Broder MI, Keats BJ, Ormond KE, Pyeritz RE, Watson MS. Outline of a medical genetics curriculum for internal medicine residency training programs. Genet Med 2004;6(6):543-7.
Vrabec JT, Alford RL. Quantitative analysis of herpes simplex virus in cranial nerve ganglia. J Neurovirol 2004;10(4):216-22.
Brown CW, Levy ML, Flaitz CM, Reid BS, Manolidis S, Hebert AA, Bender MM, Heilstedt HA, Plunkett KS, Fang P, Roa BB, Chung P, Tang HY, Richard G, Alford RL. A novel GJB2 (connexin 26) mutation, F142L, in a patient with unusual mucocutaneous findings and deafness. J Invest Dermatol 2003;121(5):1221-3.
Manolidis S, Alford RL, Smith RJ, Ball C, Manolidis L. Do the genes that cause otosclerosis reduce susceptibility to otitis media? Otol Neurotol 2003;24(6):868-71.
Alford RL, Friedman TB, Keats BJ, Kimberling WJ, Proud VK, Smith RJ, Arnos KS, Korf BR, Rehm HL, Toriello HV. Early childhood hearing loss: clinical and molecular genetics. An educational slide set of the American College of Medical Genetics. Genet Med 2003;5(4):338-41. Available through the ACMG.
Tang HY, Hutcheson E, Neill S, Drummond-Borg M, Speer M, Alford RL. Genetic susceptibility to aminoglycoside ototoxicity: How many are at risk? Genet Med 2002;4(5):336-45.
Chen W, Campbell C, Green G, Van Den Bogaert K, Komodikis C, Manolidis LS, Economou E, Kyamides Y, Christodoulou K, Faghel C, Giguere C, Alford RL, Manolidis S, Van Camp G, Smith RJH. 2002. Linkage of Otosclerosis to a Third Locus on Human Chromosome 6p21.3-22.3. J Med Genet 2002;39:473-477.
Alford RL. Genetics and Your Health: A Guide for the 21st Century Family. Medford, New Jersey: Medford Press; 1999.
Alford RL. Teacher's Guide to Genetics and Your Health: A Guide for the 21st Century Family. Medford, New Jersey: Medford Press; 1999.
BioEd Online: Biology Teacher Resources from Baylor College of Medicine
Alford RL. The Molecular Basis of Heredity: I – Structures and Functions of Nucleic Acids; II – Structures and Functions of Genomes; III – The Molecular Basis of Genetic Variation; IV – Molecular Methods of Gene Identification and Manipulation, and Diagnostic Testing