About the Center
The Center for Balance Disorders conducts clinical research to study and evaluate the function of the vestibular system.
- Treatments for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
- Management of adaptation to altered sensorimotor states
- Rehabilitation paradigms for chronic vertigo
- Vestibular evoked myogenic potentials
- Development of epidemiologic testing for vestibular and balance disorders
Key Research Questions
- How common are inner ear problems among the general population as well as in specific sub-groups, mainly those with Alzheimer’s Disease or HIV?
- How can the screening process for vestibular disorder be improved and made more efficient?
- Does wearing a Walkasins® prosthetic device improve walking ability and balance in patients with sensory peripheral neuropathy?
Some of our grants have been funded by:
- American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- Clayton Foundation for Research
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Institutes of Health National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders and National Eye Institute
- National Space Biomedical Research Institute