Click to Return Home
Print This Page
Department: MERAD-Radiology (includes Radiation Oncology)
Course: 522-Interventional Radiology
Track:

Course Coordinator: Dr. Cliff Whigham
Course Faculty: Dr. Cliff Whigham,Dr. Arun Nachiappan
Elective Location: BTGH
Periods Elective offered:
Min. Number of Students:  Max: 2
Course Level: Clinical Elective: Counts toward 32-credit graduation requirement
Credit: 8
Pre-requisites: Must have completed 570-506 or 570-508 prior
Visiting Student Elective: Yes
Open to International Students: Yes
Grading: Pass/Fail Only
Faculty Approval: Yes

Time Commitment Percentage of time expected
Regular Hours (Mon-Fri): 8am - 5pm Inpatient Ward:
Night Call: Inpatient consultations:
Number on-call nights: Outpatient clinics:
Weekends: Surgery:
    Laboratory
  Didactic:
  Other:
Statement of Goals:
COURSE OFFERED: July, August September, October, January, March, April, June The main objective of this course is to expose the student to the interventional radiology team and give them a general introduction into interventional radiology. This will be in the form of exposure to procedures and patients. At the end of the course the student will have a broad overview of the role interventional radiology plays. The goals of the rotation are: " Introduce them to diagnostic imaging and special procedures " learn basic principles of interventional radiology procedures " understand what types of studies/procedures are required/ordered to obtain needed data/diagnosis/therapeutic effect " become familiar with anatomy and be able to follow along on during procedures " understand the patient's perception of radiographic studies/procedures " understand personal issues the patients experience before, during and after the procedures " understand the abilities and limitations of interventional radiology as a member of the health care team At the completion of the course, students should know the basic work up, testing and procedures as well as indications/contraindications involved with " Breast biopsies " Thyroid biopsies " CT-guided biopsies " PICC/Port placement " Drainage of abscess and percutaneous nephrostomy
Learning Activities
Students will be required to attend bi-weekly hour long lectures provided by either residents or faulty. Attendance of 75% is mandatory. If less than 75% of lectures were attended the student must retake the course. No formal reading / books will be required but students are expected to read on their own accord based on patients they have seen and/or topics given by the attending / residents. Topics will be limited to no more than 2 formal topics per day. At the attendings discretion and time availability, a brief presentation of the material reviewed for the topics / questions at hand may be presented in an oral presentation of no more than 5 minutes. Student time commitment is expected to be from 8AM to 5PM or less at the resident's / attending's discretion. Resident lectures are optional.
Evaluation Methods
Students will be evaluated based on feedback from residents and attendings of their choosing. During the last week of the rotation the students will be emailed a link to e-value where they can pick residents and attendings to evaluate them. Students must submit a minimum of 2 residents and 1 attending. This will account for 75% of their grade. The other 25% will be either a brief 1-2 page paper summary on an interventional radiology topic of their choosing or a 10-15 minute power point. Feedback will be given at the midway mark and upon completion of the course. This will be in the form of two informal 5-10 minute feedback sessions. One by the resident and the other by the attending they have worked the most with. It is their responsibility to set this up. For confirmation that this was accomplished we will ask that the student have the reviewer sign and confirm that they have given the student feedback. This form will be due at the end of the course
When and Where to report on first day of service:
8:00 am first day of rotation: IR Suite At Ben Taub General Hospital
For additional information regarding this elective contact:
Contact Name: Becky Baxter
Contact Phone: 713-798-6362
Contact Fax: 713-798-8359
Contact Location:
Address:
Email: beckyb@bcm.edu
Next course Previous course    Back to Radiology (includes Radiation Oncology)

© Copyright Baylor College of Medicine. All Rights Reserved.