|Department:||MEFAM-Family and Community Medicine|
|Course:||536-Community Project in Homeless Care|
|Pathway:||Care of the Underserved Pathway|
|Elective Offered Terms:|
|Two Week Periods:|
|Min. Number of Students:||0 Max: 0|
|Matriculating prior to fall 2015||8|
|Matriculating fall 2015 and beyond||4|
|Pre-requisites:||Medicine & Family Medicine|
|Open to US Visiting Students:||No|
|Open to International Visiting Students:||No|
|Grading:||H,HP, P, MP, F Narrative Evaluation|
|Time Commitment||Percentage of time expected|
|Regular Hours (Mon-Fri):||5 days/week, avg. 8 hrs/day||Inpatient Ward:|
|Night Call:||Inpatient consultations:|
|Number on-call nights:||Outpatient clinics:|
|Statement of Goals:|
This course will not be offered in Fall 2019
This community project elective replaces the Longitudinal Ambulatory Care Experience (LACE) HOMES concentration. This elective serves as a requirement to complete Care of the Underserved track requirements.
In this elective, students will gain an exposure to homeless health issues, population health for high need, high cost individuals and human trafficking. They will participate in opportunities at HOMES Clinic, Street Outreach, and Healthcare for the Homeless Houston Clinics.
Throughout the month of this elective, students will design a project that works with this population. The project would require approval with clear goals and outcomes tracked.
-Practice behavior in all HOMES Clinic encounters and interactions pertaining to HOMES Clinic.
-Identify healthcare and social issues pertinent to the homeless population.
-Promote a comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach to patient care that addresses medical, social, and mental well-being of the patient.
-9 am to 3 pm: Clinical duties at HOMES Clinic
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays:
- 8 am to 1 pm: Clinical duties at a Healthcare for the Homeless Houston clinic site
- 1 pm to 5 pm: Self-directed learning to work on the elective project
- 8 am to 1 pm: Self-directed learning to work on the elective project
- 1 pm to 5 pm: Clinical duties at Street Outreach
Clinical Performance (70%)
- Student will be evaluated using the Student Assessment Form
Reflection Essay (20%)
- Student will receive this 20% upon completion of a three page reflection paper
- The essay should include a description of meaningful experiences
- Student must attend all sessions to receive this 10%
|When and Where to report on first day of service:|
|For additional information regarding this elective contact:|
|Contact Name:||Bridget Angel|
Return to Elective Course Types