Elective Program

Print This Page
Department: MERAD-Radiology
Course: 522-Interventional Radiology

Course Director: David M. Wynne, M.D.
Course Faculty: Cliff J. Whigham Jr., D.O.,David M. Wynne, M.D.
Elective Location: BTH
Elective Offered Terms:
Months: 1A,1B,1C,2A,2B,3A,3B,3C,4A,4B,4C
Two Week Periods:
Min. Number of Students: Max:  1
Elective Type: Clinical
Matriculating prior to fall 20158
Matriculating fall 2015 and beyond4
Pre-requisites: MERAD 506 or MERAD 200
Open to US Visiting Students: Yes
Open to International Visiting Students: No
Grading: H,HP, P, MP, F Narrative Evaluation
Faculty Approval: Yes

Time Commitment Percentage of time expected
Regular Hours (Mon-Fri): Monday - Friday; 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Inpatient Ward:
Night Call: No Inpatient consultations:
Number on-call nights: Outpatient clinics:
Weekends: No Surgery:
Course Description & Learning Objectives:
Over the course of the rotation, the student should develop an understanding of:
a. The basic and more complex procedures performed in the body interventional radiology section including patient selection, preprocedure workup, and periprocedural management.
b. The role of the various imaging modalities (fluoroscopy, CT, ultrasound) in the practice of interventional radiology.
c. Basic radiographic anatomy pertinent to interventional radiology procedures.

Students will have ample opportunity to assist residents and faculty with procedures, including tunneled central venous catheter placement, percutaneous gastrostomy placement, percutaneous nephrostomy placement, image guided biopsies, and image guided abscess drainage, throughout the rotation. The student is expected to actively participate in workup of new consults and morning imaging rounds. There is no required textbook reading; rather, students are encouraged to seek out relevant medical literature pertaining to individual patients seen and procedures observed throughout the rotation. Faculty physicians are happy to provide guidance in this regard. Informal teaching sessions and reviews of interesting cases and/or complications are also frequent in the interventional radiology section. The student may attend daily 12:00 PM didactic conferences with the Diagnostic Radiology residents if he/she wishes to do so.

Learning Activities
1) Explain what takes place during an imaging guided procedure in terms a patient would understand.
2) Know indications/contraindications for basic IR procedures.
3) List laboratory studies that are often required prior to an IR procedure.
4) Describe how different imaging modalities are used to guide procedures and list one or two clinical scenarios where each is used.
5) Become familiar with ultrasound, CT, and fluoroscopic equipment utilized by IR physicians.

Evaluation Methods
The student will be evaluated by the rotation director with input received from the other IR faculty members, as well as by the radiology residents on service over the period of the student’s rotation. Verbal feedback will be provided at the midpoint of the rotation. In addition, the student will be responsible for preparing a 15-20 minute PowerPoint presentation on an interventional radiology topic of his or her choosing, subject to faculty approval, and presenting to IR faculty and residents during the last week of the rotation. Faculty and resident evaluation will comprise 75% of the final grade; the end-of-rotation presentation will comprise the remaining 25%.

When and Where to report on first day of service:
8:00 AM, BT 1st Flr., Radiology Dept., IR Suite - the student should wear scrubs on the first day.
For additional information regarding this elective contact:
Contact Name: Becky Baxter
Contact Phone: 713-798-6362
Contact Fax: 713-798-8359
Contact Location: Main BCM - Anderson Building - Basement - Radiology Education Office - Room 022E
Email: beckyb@bcm.edu
Next course Previous course    Back to Radiology
Return to Elective Course Types