|Course Director:||Pedro J. Diaz-Marchan, M.D.|
|Course Faculty:||Fanny Emilia Moron, M.D.,Christie M. Lincoln, M.B.B.S.,David Ryan Dunaway, M.D.,Tomas Eduardo Uribe Acosta,Pedro J. Diaz-Marchan, M.D.|
|Elective Offered Terms:|
|Two Week Periods:|
|Min. Number of Students:||0 Max: 1|
|Matriculating prior to fall 2015||8|
|Matriculating fall 2015 and beyond||4|
|Pre-requisites:||MERAD 506 or MERAD 200|
|Open to US Visiting Students:||Yes|
|Open to International Visiting Students:||No|
|Grading:||H,HP, P, MP, F Narrative Evaluation|
|Time Commitment||Percentage of time expected|
|Regular Hours (Mon-Fri):||Monday - Friday; 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.||Inpatient Ward:|
|Night Call:||No||Inpatient consultations:|
|Number on-call nights:||Outpatient clinics:|
|Course Description & Learning Objectives:|
Readings: Squires Fundamentals of Radiology, Chapter 18.
Students will be assigned to either the BT/HHS Neuro CT and MRI rotations. Students are expected to work with both residents and attendings to get exposed to the role of CT and MRI in the diagnosis of the most common diseases related to the brain, orbits, face, neck and spine. You will be expected to attend daily morning and noon Neuro conferences at MDA, BSLMC, TMH, TCH, and BCM.
1) CT: Identify normal anatomic structures of the head and neck, brain, spine on imaging exams; High yield abnormal CT findings.
2) MRI: Basic MRI physics
3) Appropriate use of imaging: Describe some strengths,
weaknesses, and limitations of CT vs. MRI in the evaluation of patients with CNS symptoms and diseases; list some indications fo ruse of contrast with CT (or MRI); construct the appropriate imaging algorithm for common diagnostic scenarios.
Grade based on:
1) Attendance to morning and noon conferences Mon-Fri
2) Presentation of an interesting case
3) Discussion of an article at the Neuroradiology fellows journal club
4) Daily interactions with the residents, faculty, ancillary staff and referring clinicians
5) Initiative in accessing EPIC and accessing patients histories
6) Initiative reviewing studies on their own before the readouts.
|When and Where to report on first day of service:|
|Student will be contacted prior to elective start date|
|For additional information regarding this elective contact:|
|Contact Name:||Becky Baxter|
|Contact Location:||Main BCM - Anderson Building - Basement - Radiology Education Office - Room 022E|