OB/GYN Medical Student Clerkship
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology offers numerous opportunities in education for current medical students.
The OB/GYN core clerkship, under the direction of Dr. Jennifer Bercaw-Pratt, is part of the core clinical curriculum for BCM medical students. Students may enroll in the rotation as early as the second half of their MS2 year. The clerkship is eight weeks in duration (four weeks on Obstetrics and four weeks on Gynecology) with 32-36 students enrolled in any given term.
The 4-week OB service includes the following:
- One week of OB triage
- One week on the Antepartum service
- Two weeks of Labor & Delivery
All four weeks of service are located at Ben Taub Hospital (BTH) and Texas Children's Hospital Pavilion for Women (PFW) and are overseen by the OB/GYN faculty and residents.
The 4-week GYN service includes:
- Two weeks of GYN Surgery located at BTH, PFW, or St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
- Two weeks of GYN clinic at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, PFW, Smith Clinic or Vallbona Health Center (formerly People's Community Health Center)
Each week, students attend faculty-presented lectures and participate in workshops on topics such as suturing and pelvic exam training. The term concludes with a standardized patient exam and the national shelf exam. An overall grade is given based on student performance on the exams and clinical evaluations completed by the residents and faculty during the OB and GYN services.
Currently the core clerkship is reserved only for Baylor College of Medicine students.
Non-Baylor students who are in their MS4 year and have completed their core clerkship in OB/GYN at their home institution are invited to apply for our electives through VSAS.
OB/GYN Medical Student Elective Program
The BCM Department of OB/GYN offers the following 4-week electives to BCM students and visiting medical students who have completed a core OB/GYN clerkship:
- Labor & Delivery Sub-Internship (with Jennifer Bercaw-Pratt, M.D.)
- Gynecology Oncology (with Concepcion Diaz-Arrastia, M.D.)
- General Gynecology (with Ronald Young, M.D.)
- Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology (with Jennifer Dietrich, M.D., M.Sc.)
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine (with Carey Eppes, M.D. and Robert Carpenter, M.D., J.D.)
- Women's Health Policy (with Lisa Hollier, M.D., M.P.H.)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (with Robert Zurawin, M.D.)
- Fetal Intervention (with Rodrigo Ruano, M.D.)
- OB/GYN Special Clinical Elective
Special Events for Medical Students
Numerous special educational events are organized by the Obstetrics and Gynecology Special Interest Group (GOBIG) and highlight the various subspecialties of OB/GYN. These events are designed to provide students with a well-rounded perspective of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Please visit the residents page for more information to apply to the Baylor College of Medicine OB/GYN Residency Program.
For further information, please contact:Diane Jensen, UME Coordinator
Phone: 832-826-7373 Fax: 832-825-9352