The goal of the Systems Neuroscience Journal Club is to keep journal club members abreast of the current literature in Systems Neuroscience. To foster critical thinking about Systems Neuroscience issues, including experimental design, theoretical and statistical techniques. Our club meets in the Smith Building, 5th floor conference room at 10 a.m. on Wednesdays (outside the Tolias, Smirnakis, and Gabbiani labs).
Our goal is to have a journal club that will enrich our knowledge and keep us current in the field of systems neuroscience. To further this goal and the quality of the journal club please use the following guidelines when selecting an article. If your answer to the questions below is a resounding "yes" then we look forward to your presentation and discussing this topic!
- Is it relevant to systems neuroscience?
- Is it of impact to the field, with preference to top 10 journals: Nature Neuroscience, Neuron, Journal of Neuroscience, etc.
- Is it current, preferably within the last 6 months?
- Dec. 10, 2014: Wide-Field Feedback Neurons Dynamically Tune Early Visual Processing
Tuthill JC, Nern A, Rubin GM, Reiser MB. Neuron. 2014 May 21;82(4):887-95.
- Dec. 3, 2014: Perceptual training continuously refines neuronal population codes in primary visual cortex
Yan Y, Rasch MJ, Chen M, Xiang X, Huang M, Wu S, Li W. Nat Neurosci. 2014 Oct;17(10):1380-7.
- Oct. 29, 2014: A somatosensory circuit for cooling perception in mice
Milenkovic N, Zhao WJ, Walcher J, Albert T, Siemens J, Lewin GR, Poulet JF. Nat Neurosci. 2014 Sep 28. [Epub ahead of print]
Presentation Calendar: April 9 - Oct. 22, 2014
- Oct. 22, 2014: Young Park Ji presented "Two distinct layer-specific dynamics of cortical ensembles during learning of a motor task"
Masamizu Y, Tanaka YR, Tanaka YH, Hira R, Ohkubo F, Kitamura K, Isomura Y, Okada T, Matsuzaki M. Nat Neurosci. 2014 Jul;17(7):987-94. Epub 2014 Jun 1.
- Oct. 15, 2014: Shan Shen presented: "Experience-Dependent Specialization of Receptive Field Surround for Selective Coding of Natural Scenes"
Pecka M, Han Y, Sader E, Mrsic-Flogel TD. Neuron. 2014 Sep 24. [Epub ahead of print].
- Oct. 8, 2014: Trace Stay presented "Central vagal afferent endings mediate reduction of food intake by melanocortin-3/4 receptor agonist"
Campos CA, Shiina H, Ritter RC. J Neurosci. 2014 Sep 17;34(38):12636-45.
- Oct. 1, 2014: Ryan Ash presented "Sensory-evoked LTP driven by dendritic plateau potentials in vivo"
Gambino F, Pagès S, Kehayas V, Baptista D, Tatti R, Carleton A, Holtmaat A. Nature. 2014 Aug 31. [Epub ahead of print].
- Sept. 24, 2014: Dimitri Yatsenko presented "The Stimulus Selectivity and Connectivity of Layer Six Principal Cells Reveals Cortical Microcircuits Underlying Visual Processing"
Vélez-Fort M, Rousseau CV, Niedworok CJ, Wickersham IR, Rancz EA, Brown AP, Strom M, Margrie TW. Neuron. 2014 Sep 17;83(6):1431-43.
- Sept.17, 2014: Dr. Fabrizio Gabbiani presented "Processing properties of ON and OFF pathways for Drosophila motion detection"
Behnia R, Clark DA, Carter AG, Clandinin TR, Desplan C. Nature. 2014 Aug 28;512(7515):427-30.
- April 30, 2014: Ryan Ash presented "Whole brain activity maps reveal stereotyped, distributed networks for visuomotor behavior"
Portugues R, Feierstein CE, Engert F, Orger MB. Neuron. 2014 Mar 19;81(6):1328-43.
- April 26, 2014: Manolis Froudarakis presented "Learned spatiotemporal sequence recognition and prediction in primary visual cortex"
Gavornik JP, Bear MF. Nat Neurosci. 2014 May;17(5):732-7.
- April 9, 2014: Dr. Edward Tehovnik presented "Visual space is compressed in prefrontal cortex before eye movements"
Zirnsak M, Steinmetz N, Noudoost B, Xu KZ, Moore T. Nature. 2014 Mar 27;507(7493):504-7.