The purpose of this journal club is to discuss high impact, insightful articles from all areas of Molecular Neuroscience. The format is an interactive, open forum with a primary presenter and the full participation of the audience. This journal club will provide a learning environment for the critical analysis of journal articles, presentation skills, and experimental design.
We meet on Thursdays noon to 1 p.m. in the conference room on the 7th floor (S744 Smith Building). Feel free to bring your lunch - a snack will be provided.
Our goal is to have a journal club that will enrich our knowledge and keep us current in the field of molecular and cellular neuroscience. To further this goal and the quality of the journal club please use the following guidelines when selecting an article. If your answer to the questions below is a resounding "yes" then we look forward to your presentation and discussing this topic!
- Is it relevant to molecular and cellular neuroscience?
- Is it of impact to the field (preference to top ten journals: Nature Neuroscience, Neuron, Journal of Neuroscience, etc)?
- Is it current, preferably within the last six months?
- April 2, 2015: Jenny Sun will present "Astrocytic adenosine receptor A2A and Gs-coupled signaling regulate memory"
- Orr AG, Hsiao EC, Wang MM, Ho K, Kim DH, Wang X, Guo W, Kang J, Yu GQ, Adame A, Devidze N, Dubal DB, Masliah E, Conklin BR, Mucke Lhttp://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v18/n3/full/nn.3930.html. Nat Neurosci. 2015 Mar;18(3):423-34.
- March 12, 2015: Chien-Ju presented "Increased CYFIP1 dosage alters cellular and dendritic morphology and dysregulates mTOR"
- Oguro-Ando A, Rosensweig C, Herman E, Nishimura Y, Werling D, Bill BR, Berg JM, Gao F, Coppola G, Abrahams BS, Geschwind DH. Mol Psychiatry. 2014 Oct 14.
- Feb. 25, 2015: Manar Zaghlula presented: "Toll-like receptor-2 deficiency induces schizophrenia-like behaviors in mice"
- Park SJ, Lee JY, Kim SJ, Choi SY, Yune TY, Ryu JH. Sci Rep. 2015 Feb 17;5:8502.
For Historical Reference: September 2014 - February 2015
- Feb. 5, 2015: Meagan Siehr presented "MicroRNA 135 Is Essential for Chronic Stress Resiliency, Antidepressant Efficacy, and Intact Serotonergic Activity"
Neuron. 2014 Jul 16;83(2):344-60. Issler O, Haramati S, Paul ED, Maeno H, Navon I, Zwang R, Gil S, Mayberg HS, Dunlop BW, Menke A, Awatramani R, Binder EB, Deneris ES, Lowry CA, Chen A.
- Jan. 29, 2015: Jennifer Johnson presented "Exogenous and evoked oxytocin restores social behavior in the Cntnap2 mouse model of autism"
Sci Transl Med. 2015 Jan 21;7(271):271ra8. Peñagarikano O, Lázaro MT, Lu XH, Gordon A, Dong H, Lam HA, Peles E, Maidment NT, Murphy NP, Yang XW, Golshani P, Geschwind DH.
- Jan. 15, 2015: Asante Hatcher presented "Live Imaging of Endogenous PSD-95 Using ENABLED: A Conditional Strategy to Fluorescently Label Endogenous Proteins"
J Neurosci. 2014 Dec 10;34(50):16698-712. Fortin DA, Tillo SE, Yang G, Rah JC, Melander JB, Bai S, Soler-Cedeño O, Qin M, Zemelman BV, Guo C, Mao T, Zhong H.
- Nov. 6, 2014: Amber Levine presented "Dissociation of the Pharmacological Effects of THC by mTOR Blockade"
Puighermanal E, Busquets-Garcia A, Gomis-González M, Marsicano G, Maldonado R, Ozaita A. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013 Jun;38(7):1334-43. Epub 2013 Jan 28.
- Oct. 30, 2014: Chien-Ju Chen presented: "Hippocampal Neurogenesis Regulates Forgetting During Adulthood and Infancy"
Akers KG, Martinez-Canabal A, Restivo L, Yiu AP, De Cristofaro A, Hsiang HL, Wheeler AL, Guskjolen A, Niibori Y, Shoji H, Ohira K, Richards BA, Miyakawa T, Josselyn SA, Frankland PW. Science. 2014 May 9;344(6184):598-602.
- Oct. 9, 2014: Peter Tu presented "Axon-Carrying Dendrites Convey Privileged Synaptic Input in Hippocampal Neurons"
Neuron. 2014 Sep 17;83(6):1418-30. Thome C, Kelly T, Yanez A, Schultz C, Engelhardt M, Cambridge SB, Both M, Draguhn A, Beck H, Egorov AV.
- Oct. 2, 2014: Asante Hatcher presented "An explant muscle model to examine the refinement of the synaptic landscape"
J Neurosci Methods. 2014 Sep 22. pii: S0165-0270(14)00338-0. Hanson MG, Niswander LA.
- Sept, 25, 2014: Jenny Sun presented "Juvenile Antioxidant Treatment Prevents Adult Deficits in a Developmental Model of Schizophrenia"
Cabungcal JH, Counotte DS, Lewis EM, Tejeda HA, Piantadosi P, Pollock C, Calhoon GG, Sullivan EM, Presgraves E, Kil J, Hong LE, Cuenod M, Do KQ, O'Donnell P. Neuron. 2014 Sep 3;83(5):1073-84.
- Sept. 18, 2014: Jennifer Johnson presented "Axonally Synthesized ATF4 Transmits a Neurodegenerative Signal across Brain Regions"
Cell, Volume 158, Issue 5, 28 August 2014, Pages 1159-1172. Jimena Baleriola, Chandler A. Walker, Ying Y. Jean, John F. Crary, Carol M. Troy, Peter L. Nagy, Ulrich Hengst.