Chad Shaw, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Molecular and Human Genetics
Assistant Professor, Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine (STaR) Center
B.S., Mathematics, Duke University, 1995
Ph.D., Mathematical Statistics, Rice University, 2001
My main research interests are systems biology and the analysis of large scale genomic data. My laboratory has done extensive research in the use of genomic annotations to enhance analysis of microarray experiments. We have developed a variety of web-based software including tools for Gene Ontology analysis as well as an interactive system for exploration of protein-protein interaction networks. We have also developed tools for web-based visualization and sharing of gene expression data. We analyze primary microarray data sets from all array platforms including expression arrays, genome content arrays (aCGH), microRNA arrays, and chromatin arrays with an expertise in data pre-processing and normalization. Our methodological work involves statistical considerations for use of annotations in analysis of very large scale genomic data.
- Probst FJ, Roeder ER, Enciso VB, Ou Z, Cooper ML, Eng P, Li J, Gu Y, Stratton RF, Chinault AC, Shaw CA, Sutton VR, Cheung SW, Nelson DL (2007). Chromosomal microarray analysis (CMA) detects a large X chromosome deletion including FMR1, FMR2, and IDS in a female patient with mental retardation. Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 143A(12): 1358-65. PubMed PMID: 17506108
- Sahoo T, Bacino CA, German JR, Shaw CA, Bird LM, Kimonis V, Anselm I, Waisbren S, Beaudet AL, Peters SU (2007). Identification of novel deletions of 15q11q13 in Angelman syndrome by array-CGH: molecular characterization and genotype-phenotype correlations. Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 15(9): 943-9. PubMed PMID: 17522620
- Lu X, Shaw CA, Patel A, Li J, Cooper ML, Wells WR, Sullivan CM, Sahoo T, Yatsenko SA, Bacino CA, Stankiewicz P, Ou Z, Chinault AC, Beaudet AL, Lupski JR, Cheung SW, Ward PA (2007). Clinical implementation of chromosomal microarray analysis: summary of 2513 postnatal cases. PLoS ONE 2(3): e327. PubMed PMID: 17389918
- Sahoo T, Cheung SW, Ward P, Darilek S, Patel A, del Gaudio D, Kang SH, Lalani SR, Li J, McAdoo S, Burke A, Shaw CA, Stankiewicz P, Chinault AC, Van den Veyver IB, Roa BB, Beaudet AL, Eng CM (2006). Prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities using array-based comparative genomic hybridization. Genet. Med. 8(11): 719-27. PubMed PMID: 17108764
- Lim J, Hao T, Shaw C, Patel AJ, Szabo G, Rual JF, Fisk CJ, Li N, Smolyar A, Hill DE, Barabasi AL, Vidal M, Zoghbi HY (2006). A protein-protein interaction network for human inherited ataxias and disorders of Purkinje cell degeneration. Cell 125(4): 801-14. PubMed PMID: 16713569
- Cheung SW, Shaw CA, Yu W, Li J, Ou Z, Patel A, Yatsenko SA, Cooper ML, Furman P, Stankiewicz P, Lupski JR, Chinault AC, Beaudet AL (2005). Development and validation of a CGH microarray for clinical cytogenetic diagnosis. Genet. Med. 7(6): 422-32. Erratum in: Genet. Med. 2005 7(7): 478. PubMed PMID: 16024975
- Shaw CJ, Shaw CA, Yu W, Stankiewicz P, White LD, Beaudet AL, Lupski JR (2004). Comparative genomic hybridisation using a proximal 17p BAC/PAC array detects rearrangements responsible for four genomic disorders. J. Med. Genet. 41(2): 113-9. PubMed PMID: 14757858
- Venezia TA, Merchant AA, Ramos CA, Whitehouse NL, Young AS, Shaw CA, Goodell MA (2004). Molecular signatures of proliferation and quiescence in hematopoietic stem cells. PLoS Biol. 2(10): e301. PubMed PMID: 15459755
- Young A, Whitehouse N, Cho J, Shaw C (2005). OntologyTraverser: an R package for GO analysis. Bioinformatics 21(2): 275-6. PubMed PMID: 15333457
Chad Shaw, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, MS BCM225
Houston, TX, 77030, U.S.A.
Web site: Shaw Lab