Prenatal Genetics Clinic
The BCM Prenatal Genetics Clinic is a joint effort between the Department of Molecular and Human Genetics and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. These two departments integrate the delivery of high quality, state-of-the-art prenatal diagnostic services through their laboratories and clinics. Together, they offer a full range of coordinated genetic services for the diagnosis, treatment, counseling, and prevention of birth defects. Our professional staffs are world-renown in genetic and obstetric services.
Prenatal Diagnostic and Genetic Services Include:
- Genetic counseling and reproductive genetics (M.D.) consultation: Advanced maternal age; abnormal maternal serum screening; abnormal prenatal testing; ultrasound anomalies; exposure to medications, infections, alcohol, drugs, chemicals, or radiation during pregnancy; previous child with a birth defect or genetic condition; patient with genetic condition or carrier of a genetic condition; family history concerns; history of multiple miscarriages
- High resolution ultrasound study of fetus
- Prenatal diagnostic tests: Amniocentesis; Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS); fetal blood sampling
- Multi-fetal reduction
- Laboratory studies available: DNA testing; biochemical testing; chromosomal analysis
- Maternal serum screening: (1) First Trimester Screening (FIRST) - calculates the risk for Down syndrome and Trisomy 18 between 11 weeks 1 day and 13 weeks 6 days gestation based on biochemical analysis, ultrasound of the nuchal translucency, and maternal age; (2) Quad Screen - calculates the risk for Down syndrome, Trisomy 18, and open neural tube defect in the second trimester by measuring MSAFP, hCG, uE3, and Papp-A.
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis
Melissa Strassberg, M.S., C.G.C.
Prenatal Genetic Counselors:
- Katharine Coles, M.S., C.G.C.
- Nevena Cvjetkovic, M.S.
- Sandra Darilek, M.S., C.G.C.
- Wanda Dosal, R.N., B.S.N.
- Jennifer Lemoine, M.S., C.G.C.
- Veena Mathur, M.S., C.G.C.
- Lauren Murphy, M.S., C.G.C.
- Tamara Solomon, M.S., C.G.C.
- Blair Stevens, M.S., C.G.C.
- Melissa Strassberg, M.S., C.G.C.