Perumal Thiagarajan, M.D.
Title: (M.D., Ph.D.):
Professor, Dept of Medicine and Pathology
Contact information (Optional):
MEDVAMCE #113, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houstob, TX 77030
Lab web site:
1978-1980 NIH Research Fellow in Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Cardeza Foundation for Hematologic Research, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
Research Interest Heading:
Platelet procoagulant activity
Anionic phospholipid exposure
Research Interest Description: (maximum of four paragraphs = 200 words)
1. Thiagarajan P, Shapiro SS, DeMarco L: Monoclonal immunoglobulin M coagulation inhibitor with phospholipid specificity. Mechanism of a lupus anticoagulant. J Clinical Investigation 66: 397-405, 1980.
2. Thiagarajan P, Niemetz J: Leukocyte procoagulant activity - Results of in vivo studies. Thrombosis Research 17: 891-896, 1980.
3. Thiagarajan P, Perussia B, DeMarco L, Wells K, Trinchieri G: Membrane proteins on human megakaryocytes and platelets identified by monoclonal antibodies. Am J Hematology 14: 255-269, 1983.
4. DiMinno G, Thiagarajan P, Perussia B, Martinez J, Shapiro S, Trinchieri G, Murphy S: Exposure of platelet fibrinogen binding sites by collagen, arachidonic acid and ADP:. Inhibition by a monoclonal antibody to the glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex. Blood 61: 140-148, 1983.
5. DiMinno G, Capitanio AM, Thiagarajan P, Martinez J, Murphy S: Exposure of fibrinogen receptors on fresh and stored platelets by ADP and epinephrine as single agents and as a pair. Blood 61: 1054-1059, 1983.
6. Perussia B, Dayton ET, Fanning V, Thiagarajan P, Hoxie J, Trinchieri G: Immune interferon and leukocyte conditioned medium induce normal and leukemic myeloid cells to differentiate along the monocytic pathway. J Experimental Medicine 158:2058-2080, 1983.
7. DiMinno G, Silver MJ, Cerbone AM, Ricardi G, Rivellese A, Mancini M, Thiagarajan P: Increased binding of fibrinogen to platelets in diabetes: the role of thromboxane and prostaglandins. Blood 65: 156-162, 1985.
8. Thiagarajan P, Shapiro SS, Levine E, DeMarco L, Yalcin A: A monoclonal antibody to human platelet glycoprotein IIIa detects a related protein in cultured endothelial cells. J Clinical Investigation 75:896-901, 1985.
9. Thiagarajan P, Pengo V, Shapiro SS: The use of the dilute Russell viper venom time for the diagnosis of lupus anticoagulants. Blood 68: 869-874, 1986.
10. Thiagarajan P, Shapiro SS, Sweterlitsch L, McCord S: A human erythroleukemia cell line synthesizes a functionally active glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex capable of binding fibrinogen. Biochim Biophys Acta 924:127-134, 1987.
11. Thakur ML, Thiagarajan P, White F, Park C, Maurer PH: Monoclonal antibodies for specific cell labeling: Considerations, preparations and preliminary evaluation. Nuc Med Biol 14:51-58, 1987.
12. Pengo V, Thiagarajan P, Shapiro SS, Heine MJ: Immunological specificity and mechanism of action of IgG lupus anticoagulants. Blood 70: 69-76, 1987.
13. Chen CS, Thiagarajan P, Schwartz SM, Harlan JM, Heimark RL: The platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa-like protein in human endothelial cells promote adhesion but not initial attachment to extracellular matrix. J Cell Biology 105: 1885-1892, 1987.
14. Thiagarajan P, Kelly K: Exposure of vitronectin binding sites on activated platelets. J Biological Chemistry 263: 3035-3038, 1988.
15. Sprandio JD, Shapiro SS, Thiagarajan P, McCord S: Cultured Human Umbilical vein Endothelial Cells contain a membrane Glycoprotein immunologically related to platelet GpIb. Blood 71: 243-237, 1988.
16. Chen CS, Chou SH, Thiagarajan P: Fibrin(ogen) peptide Bb 15-42 inhibits platelet aggregation and fibrinogen binding to activated platelets. Biochemistry 27: 6121-6126, 1988.
17. Thiagarajan P, Kelly K: Interactions of thrombin-stimulated platelets with vitronectin (S-protein of complement) substrate: Inhibition by a monoclonal antibody to Glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex. Thrombosis and Hemostasis 60: 514-517. 1988.
18. Weiss HJ, Hawiger J, Ruggeri ZM, Turrito VT, Thiagarajan P, Hoffman T: Fibrinogen-independent interaction of the platelets with subendothelium mediated by glycoprotein IIb-IIIa complex. J Clinical Investigation 83: 288-517, 1989.
19. Thiagarajan P and Tait JF: Binding of annexin V/placental anticoagulant protein I to platelets. Evidence for phosphatidylserine exposure in the procoagulant response of activated platelets. J. Biological Chemistry 265: 17420-17423, 1990.
20. Chen CS, Papayannopoulos IA, Timmons S, Chou SH and Thiagarajan P. A modified Arg-Gly-Val(RDV) peptide derived during the synthesis of Arg-Gly-Asp-Val (REDV), a tetrapeptide derived from an alternatively spliced site in fibronectin, inhibits the binding of fibrinogen, fibronectin, von Willebrand factor and vitronectin to activated platelets. Biochim Biophys Acta 1075: 237-247, 1991.
21. Thiagarajan P and Tait JF: Collagen-induced exposure of anionic phospholipid in platelets and platelet derived microparticles. J. Biological Chemistry 266: 24302-23305, 1991.
22. Farrell DF, Thiagarajan P, Chung DW, Davie EW: Role of fibrinogen alpha and gamma chains in platelet aggregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 89: 10729-10732, 1992.
23. Cherny RC, Honan MA, Thiagarajan P: Site-directed mutations in the cell binding domain of vitronectin abolishes cell adhesion. J Biological Chemistry 268: 9725-9729, 1993.
24. Farrell DF, Thiagarajan P: Binding of recombinant fibrinogen mutants to platelets. J Biological Chemistry 269: 226-231, 1994.
25. Thiagarajan P, Farrell DF, Rippon AJ: Alternative Adhesion Sites in Human fibrinogen for vascular endothelial cell adhesion. Biochemistry 35: 4169-4175, 1996.
26. Zaidi T, McIntire L, Farrell DH, Thiagarajan P: Adhesion of platelets to fibrinogen under flow. Blood 88: 2967-2972, 1996.
27. Thiagarajan P, Le A, Snuggs M and VanWinkle B: The role of carboxy-terminal Glycosaminoglycan Binding domain of Vitronectin in cytoskeletal organization and migration of endothelial Cells. Cell adhesion and communication. 4: 317-325, 1996.
28. Thiagarajan P, and Benedict RC: Inhibition of arterial thrombosis by recombinant annexin V in a rabbit carotid artery injury model Circulation 96: 2339-47. 1997.
29. Thiagarajan P, Le A and Shapiro SS. Characterization of b2-Glycoprotein I-Dependent and -Independent Antiphospholipid Antibodies from Lupus-prone NZW ´ BXSB F1 Hybrid Male Mice. Am J Hematol 56: 86-92. 1997.
30. Day HM , Thiagarajan P, Ahn C, Reveille JD, Tinker KF, and Arnett FC: Clinical, ethnic and immunogenetric correlations with anti-b2 Glycoprotein, Anticardiolipin and lupus anticoagulant in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome J. Rheumatology 25: 667-674, 1998.
31. Pereira B, Benedict P, Le A, Shapiro SS, Thiagarajan P: Cardiolipin Binding Light Chains from Lupus-Prone Mice Biochemistry 37: 667-674, 1998.
32. Arnett. F, Thiagarajan. P, Ahn C, Reveille J: Associations of anti b2-glycoprotein I autoantibodies with HLA Class II alleles in three distinct groups. Arthritis and Rheumatism 42: 268-274, 1999.
33. Merten MD, Pakala R, Thiagarajan P and Benedict CR. Platelet Microparticles Provide a Substrate for Platelet Adhesion to Subendothelial Matrix in a Glycoprotein IIb-IIIa dependent mechanism. Circulation 99: 2577-2582, 1999.
34. Gushiken FC, Arnett FC, Ahn C, Thiagarajan P: Polymorphism of b2-glycoprotein iI at codons 306 and 316 in patients with systemic lupus erythematous and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Arthritis and Rheumatism 42:1189-1192, 1999.
35. Thiagarajan P, Le A, Benedict. b2-glycoprotein I Promotes the Binding of Anionic phospholipid Vesicles by Macrophages. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and vascular Biology. 19:2807-11, 1999.
36. Yasin Z, Quick D, Thiagarajan P, Spoor, Caraveo J and Palascak J: Light chain preparations with lupus anticoagulant activity. A J Hematol. 62:99-102, 1999.
37. Chou T, Hellum DA, and Thiagrajan P: Synergistic interaction of thrombin and shear stress on microvesiculation of platelets J Lab Clin Med 135:66-72, 2000
38. Guishiken FC, Arnett FC and Thiagarajan P: Primary Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome with Mutations in the Phospholipid Binding Domain ofb2-glycoprotein I. Am J Hematol. 65:160-5, 2000.
39. Thiagarajan P, Dannenbring R, Tramanatano A, Golobobov G. Paul S: A monoclonal light chain with prothrombinase activity. Biochemistry 39: 6459-6465, 2000.
40. Merten MD and Thiagarajan P: P selectin determines the size and stability of platelet aggregates Circulation 102:1931-6. 2000
41. Merten MD Chou T, Hellum DA and Thiagarajan P: A new role for P-selectin in shear-induced aggregation Circulation 102:2045-50, 2000
42 Kuang Sq, Hasham S, Phillips MD, Wolf D , Wan Y, Thiagarajan P and Milewicz D Characterization of a novel autosomal dominant bleeding disorder in a large kindred from East Texas. Blood 97:1549-54, 2001.
43. Merten MD, Dong JF, Lopez JA and Thiagarajan P: Cholesterol Sulfate: A new Adhesion molecule for Platelets. Circulation. 104:1876-7, 2001
44. Merten MD and Thiagarajan P: 2001 A role for Sulfatides in platelet aggregation. Circulation.104:2955-60, 2001
45. Gushiken FC, Anhqueyn Le, Frank C. Arnett and Thiagarajan P. 2003. Polymorphisms of b2-glycoprotein I: Phospholipid binding and multimeric structure. Thrombosis Research. 108:175-80, 2002
46. Borthakur B, Cruz MA, Dong JF, McIntire L, Li F, Lopez Jand Thiagarajan P Sulfatides Inhibit Platelet Adhesion to the von Willebrand Factor A1 Domain under in Flowing Blood Conditions. J of Thrombosis and Hemostasis 1: 1288-95, 2003
47. Merten, Motamedy S, Ramamurthy S, Arnett, F. C. Thiagarajan P. Sulfatides: Targets for Antiphospholipid Antibodies. Circulation 108:2082-7, 2003.
48. Le A, Dasgupta S, Planque S, Paul S, Thiagarajan P. The Kringle 2 Domain of Prothrombin as the Target for Antiprothrombin Antibodies in Lupus: Characterization from a V Gene Phage Display Library. Biochemistry 43: 4047-54, 2004
49. Karle S, Planque S, Nishiyama Y, Taguchi H, Zhou YX, Salas M, Lake D, Thiagarajan P, Arnett F, Hanson CV, Paul S. Cross-clade HIV-1 neutralization by an antibody fragment from a lupus phage display library. AIDS. 18(2):329-31, 2004
50. Guchhait P, López JA , and Thiagarajan P. Characterization of Autoantibodies against Sulfatide from a V-Gene Phage-Display Library Derived from Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J immunol Methods 295:129-3, 2004
51. Conde ID, Nabil F; Tonda R, Thiagarajan P, López, JA, Kleiman NS: Effect of P-selectin on phosphatidylserine exposure and surface-dependent thrombin generation on monocytes. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 25:1065-70, 2005.
52. Conde ID, Shrimpton, CN, Thiagarajan P, Lopez JA: Tissue factor-bearing microvesicules arise from lipid rafts and fuse with activated platelets to initiate coagulation. Blood 106:1604-11, 2005.
53. Dasgupta SK, Thiagarajan P: The role of lactadherin in the phagocytosis of phosphatidylserine-expressing sickle red blood cells by macrophages. Haematologica /The Hematology Journal 90: 1267-68, 2005.
54. Dasgupta SK, Guchhait P, Thiagarajan P: Lactadherin Binding and Phosphatidylserine Expression on Cell Surface - Comparison with Annexin A5. Translation Research: J Lab Clin Med 148(1):19-25, 2006.
55. Vijayan KV, Liu Y, Souza S, Thiagarajan, P , Bray PF. Fibrinogen and prothrombin binding is enhanced to the Pro33 isoform of purified integrin aIIbb3. J of Thrombosis and Hemostasis 4:905-6, 2006.
56. Conde ID, Bharwani LD, Dietzen DJ; Pendurthi U, Thiagarajan P, José A. López. Microvesicle-Associated Tissue Factor and Trousseau’s Syndrome J of Thrombosis and Hemostasis 5:70-74, 2007
57. Dasgupta SK, Thiagarajan P: Inhibition of Thrombin Activity by Prothrombin Activation Fragment 1.2. Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis. 24: 157-62, 2007.
58. Guchhait P, Dasgupta SK, Le A, Yellapragada S, López, JA, Thiagarajan P. Lactadherin Mediates Sickle Cell Adhesion to Vascular Endothelial Cells in Flowing Blood. Haematologica/The Hematology Journal 92:1266-7, 2007.
59. Guchhait P, Shrimpton CN, Honke K, Rumbaut RE, Lopez JA, Thiagarajan P. Effect of An Anti-sulfatide ScFv on Platelet Function. Thrombosis and Haemostasis (In Press)
60. Sandoval H. Thiagarajan P, Dasgupta, SK, Schumacher A, Prchal, JT, Chen, M and Wang J. Essential Roles for Nix in Autophagic Maturation of Erythroid Cells. Nature (In Press)
61. Dasgupta SK, Abdel-Monem H, Guchhait P , Nagata S and Thiagarajan P. Role of Lactadherin in the Clearance of Phosphatidylserine-Expressing Red Blood Cells. Transfusion (In Press).
Invited Reviews, Editorials and Book Chapters
62. Shapiro SS, Thiagarajan P, DeMarco L: Mechanism of action of lupus anticoagulant. Ann NY Acad Sci 370: 359-365, 1981.
63. Shapiro SS, Thiagarajan P: Lupus anticoagulants. Progress in Hemostasis and Thrombosis 6: 263-285, 1982.
64. Thiagarajan P, Shapiro SS: Lupus anticoagulants. In Methods in Hematology: Disorders of Thrombin Formation Other Than Hemophilia, Colman RW (ed), Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1983, p101-108.
65. Cherny RC and Thiagarajan P: Vitronectin-Integrin Interactions: Analysis by site-directed mutations In Biology of Vitronectins and their receptors. Preissner KT (Ed) Excerpta Medica Amsterdam p 39-44. 1993.
66. Wu KK and Thiagarajan P: Role of endothelium in Hemostasis and thrombosis. Annual Review of Medicine 47: 315-31, 1996.
67. Thiagarajan P, and Benedict C. Platelet Procoagulant Activity. In ‘New therapeutic agents in thrombosis’ Ed Sahahara AA and Loscalzo J. Marcel Dekker Inc., NY 1997.
68. Thiagarajan P, and Shapiro SS. Lupus anticoagulants and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Hematology and Oncology Clinic of North America 12: 1167-1192, 1998.
69. Lopez J. and Thiagarajan P. Antiplatelet therapy in Hand book of Hemostasis. Konkle B and Merli G, (Ed) (in Press).
70. Thiagarajan P and Wu KK. Mechanism of antithrombotic drugs. Advances in Pharmacology 46: 297-324, 1999.
71. Thiagarajan P and Paul S. 2000 Prothrombin cleaving antibody light chains In Catalytic Antibodies. Chem Immunol. 77:115-29.
72. Thiagarajan P and Wu KK. In vitro assays for evaluating platelet function. in Platelets. (Ed) Gresele P, Page CP, Fuster V and Vermylen J. Cambridge University Press. 2002
73. Thiagarajan P. 2001 Atherosclerosis, Autoimmunity and systemic lupus eryhematosus. Circulation. Circulation. 104:1876-7.
74. Thiagarajan P. New Targets for antithrombotic drugs. 2002 A J Cadiovascular Drugs. 2; 227-225
75. Merten M, Thiagarajan P. P-selectin in arterial thrombosis. Z Kardiol. 93:855-863, 2004
76. Narayanan AS and Thiagarajan P. Prothrombin in Encyclopedia of Life Sciences McMilan Reference 2004
77. Lopez JA and Thiagarajan P. Acquired Disorders of Platelet Function. In Hematolgy (ed) Hoffman R, Benz E, Shatill S, Furie B, Cohen HJ, Silberstein LB and McGlave P. 2005.
78. Afshar-Kharghan V, Thiagarajan P. Leukocyte adhesion and thrombosis. Curr Opin Hematol. 2006 13(1):34-9.
79. Mandava P, Thiagarajan P, Kent TA. Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa Antagonists in Acute Ischaemic Stroke : Current Status and Future Directions. Drugs. 2008;68(8):1019-28.
80. Thiagarajan P: Simultaneous presentation of multiple myeloma and acute leukemia - In absence of previous chemotherapy. Mt. Sinai J Med 46: 360-363, 1979.
82. Bhattacharjee M, Freedman A, Thiagarajan P: Gouty arthritis in a patient with Ivemark Syndrome. Southern Medical Journal. 89: 834-5, 1996.
82. Basaria S and Thiagarajan P. Case in point-scratch purpura of amyloid. Hospital Practice 34: 40, 1999
83. Basaria S, Thiagarajan P. Case in point. Cerebral toxoplasmosis. Hospital Practice 35: 22, 2000.
84. Wadia Y, Thiagarajan P. Delgado, R Allison P, Odegaard P, Robertson, K and Frazier OH. Antiphospholipid Syndrome with Anti-Prothrombin Autoantibodies in a Patient with an Axial Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 24(8):1133-6.
85. Krishnan, B., Thiagarajan, P. Myeloma with Russell bodies. Am J of Hematol 78:79, 2005.
86. Jaber A, Nong M, Thiagarajan, P. Transient Neutrophilic Thrombophagocytosis Associated with Citrobacter freundii Septicemia’. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 130(12):1754-5, 2006