Mona Shah, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology-Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine
Instructor, Department of Medicine, Thrombosis Research Division, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2001 M.D. University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Pending M.S. in Clinical Invesigation, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Steroid Receptors and Coactivators Regulate Gene Expression
Tissue factor-bearing microparticles mediate hemostasis and thrombosis
Dr. Shah's research focuses on tissue factor-bearing microparticles as a key mediator of hemostasis and thrombosis. Her previous work involved optimizing methods of isolation, detection, and analysis of plasma microparticle levels and their associated procoagulant activity. This work also demonstrated that appropriate storage conditions were critical to preserving microparticle levels. In order to address parameters that significantly affect circulating microparticle measurements, Dr. Shah developed a novel assay, where microparticles are measured from whole blood with far less manipulation of the original sample. This new method is expected to significantly advance the utility of microparticles for large scale clinical studies. A number of translational research projects are underway to evaluate the roles of tissue factor-bearing microparticles in the pathophysiology of various hematologic and oncologic disorders (e.g. idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, hemophilia, deep venous thrombosis). Clinical research on hemostatic/thrombotic disorders is also performed through her appointment with the Texas Children’s Cancer Center & Hematology Service.
- Shah MD and KL McClain. “Intracranial Plasma Cell Granuloma: Case Report and Treatment of Recurrence with Methotrexate and 6-Mercaptopurine.” Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology. 2005; 27(11): 599-603.
- Shah MD, O’Riordan MA, and SW Alexander. “Evaluation of Prolonged aPTT Values in the Pediatric Population.” Clinical Pediatrics. 2006; 45(4): 347-354.
- Shah MD, Bergeron AL, Dong JF, and JA Lopez. “Flow Cytometric Measurements of Microparticles: Pitfalls and Modifications.” Journal of Thrombosis and Hemostasis. 2007; 5(s1): P-M-443.
- Shah MD, Bergeron AL, Dasgupta SK, Thiagarajan P, and JF Dong. “A Novel Whole Blood Real-Time Microparticles Detection Assay Using Lactadherin-Coupled Dynabeads.” Blood. 2007; 110(11): Abstract 702.
- Nguyen TC, May WS, Mai RA, Shah MD, and JA Lopez. “Microparticles and tissue factor are elevated in pediatric sepsis-induced multiple organ failure.” Critical Care Medicine. 2007; 35(12) (Suppl): A252.
- Shah MD, Bergeron AL, Dong JF, and JA Lopez. “Flow Cytometric Measurements of Microparticles: Pitfalls and Protocol Modifications.” Platelets. (2008) (in press)