Areas of Interest
- Animal models of thrombosis (Rolando Rumbaut)
- Antiphospholipid antibodies (Perumal Thiagarajan, Jun Teruya)
- Endothelial cell biology (Miguel A. Cruz, Joel L. Moake, K. Vinod Vijayan, Rolando Rumbaut)
- Hypercoagulability (Perumal Thiagarajan)
- Leukocyte biology (C. Wayne Smith)
- Platelet biology (Miguel A. Cruz, K. Vinod Vijayan, Yuandong Peng, Perumal Thiagarajan, Rolando Rumbaut)
- Thrombosis and inflammation (Miguel A. Cruz, K. Vinod Vijayan, Trung Nguyen)
- Rheology (Miguel A. Cruz)
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) (Joel L. Moake, Trung Nguyen)
- Von Willebrand factor (Miguel A. Cruz, Joel L. Moake, Trung Nguyen, K. Vinod Vijayan)
- Coagulation factors (Perumal Thiagarajan, Jun Teruya)
- Diagnostics (Jun Teruya)
The Platelet Shear Laboratory is located on the 13th floor of the Alkek Research Building. This is a state-of-the-art facility for the evaluation of the effects of shear force on cell adhesion and physiology. This facility has a parallel plate flow chamber with real-time video-microscopy and a hi speed (3,600 frames/minute) digital camera, a Nikon Eclipse TE300 inverted stage fluorescence microsope (with filters for FITC, PE, pH, fura-2), a Nikon E800 upright microscope, a HAAKERheoStress I Rheometer (viscometer) and a BioRad Fluorometer.
The Fondren Vascular Biology and Thrombosis Core Laboratory is part of the Athero-Thrombosis Laboratory dedicated to clinical/translational research in the area of occlusive vascular disease. The Thrombosis Core Laboratory has an ABI Prism 7700 Sequence Detector (real-time PCR), Dade-Behring BCS Coagulation Analyzer, a Beckman-Coulter EPICS XL-MCL flow cytometer, a HAAKE RheoStress I Rheometer (viscometer), BIO-DATA 8-channel platelet aggregometers, a Coulter Z2 Particle Counter, a Dade-Behring PFA-100, and an MJ Research PTC-100 PCR machine.