Zeenat Safdar, M.D., F.C.C.P., F.A.C.P.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza - BCM621
Houston, Texas 77030
- M.D., Sind Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan
- Residency, Internal Medicine, State University of New York, Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, N.Y.
- Research Fellowship, Lung Biology Laboratory, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, N.Y.
Dr. Zeenat Safdar's principal research area of interest is Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH), specifically patient-oriented clinical research and conduction of clinical trials. Her recent research has focused on the contribution of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in the pathophysiology of PAH. She is the principal and co-investigator of several ongoing clinical trials. These include COMPASS 2 [bosentan and sildenafil combination study], inhaled treprostinil, low dose sildenafil study, oral UT-15c (oral prostacyclin), COMPASS 3 [bosentan on cardiac remodeling], Athena-1 [ambrisentan combination with phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor], imatinib and tezosentan in PAH. She also provides expert care for patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and interstitial lung diseases. She is the site investigator of ongoing IPF clinical trials that include ARTEMIS-IPF (ambrisentan for IPF), ARTEMIS-PH (ambrisentan in PH associated with IPF) and MUSIC (macitentan for IPF).
Awards and Honors
- Roderick D. MacDonald Research Fund, 2008-2009
- Charles A. Frueauff Foundation, Grant-in-aid, 2006-2008
- Stony Wold-Herbert Fund, Grant-in-aid, 2004-2005
- Empire Clinical Research Investigator’s Award, 2003-2004
- Stony Wold-Herbert Fellowship Award, 2001-2003
- Safdar Z. Outcome of pulmonary hypertension subjects transitioned from intravenous prostacyclin to oral bosentan. Respir Med. 2009; 103(11):1688-92.
- Galiè N, Brundage BH, Ghofrani HA, Oudiz RJ, Simonneau G, Safdar Z, Shapiro S, White RJ, Chan M, Beardsworth A, Frumkin L, Barst RJ; Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and Response to Tadalafil (PHIRST) Study Group. Tadalafil therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circulation. 2009; 119(22):2894-903.
- Jyothula S, Safdar Z. Update on pulmonary hypertension complicating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2009; 4(3):351-63.
- Kaza V, Katz MF, Cumming S, Frost AE, Safdar Z. Correlation of chest radiograph pattern with genotype, age, and gender in adult cystic fibrosis: a single-center study. Chest. 2007; 132(2):569-74.
- Safdar Z, Yiming M, Grunig G, Bhattacharya J. Inhibition of acid-induced lung injury by hyperosmolar sucrose in rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172(8):1002-7.
- Safdar A, Bannister TW, Safdar Z. The predictors of outcome in immunocompetent patients with hematogenous candidiasis. Int J Infect Dis. 2004; 8(3):180-6.
- Boitano S, Safdar Z, Welsh DG, Bhattacharya J, Koval M. Cell-cell interactions in regulating lung function. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004; 287(3):L455-9.
- Safdar Z, O'Sullivan M, Shapiro JM. Emergent bullectomy for acute respiratory failure in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. J Intensive Care Med. 2004; 19(6):349-51.
- Safdar Z, Wang P, Ichimura H, Issekutz AC, Quadri S, Bhattacharya J. Hyperosmolarity enhances the lung capillary barrier. J Clin Invest. 2003; 112(10):1541-9.