Marcia F. Katz, M.D.
Brown Foundation Professor of Adult Cystic Fibrosis
Director, Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza - BCM621
Houston, Texas 77030
- M.D., Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass.
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Boston City Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass.
Dr. Katz is the co-principle investigator of the BCM Therapeutics Developmental Network (TDN), the clinical research arm of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and a member of the Steering Committee of the TDN. She conducts many research studies in cystic fibrosis. In addition, she is a sub investigator in the BCM Pulmonary Hypertension Center.
Dr. Katz is the medical director of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center, a comprehensive, multidisciplinary center for the care of adults with cystic fibrosis. Her other clinical interests include asthma, bronchiectasis, interstitial lung disease and COPD.
Awards and Honors
- The Brown Foundation Endowed Professorship in Adult Cystic Fibrosis, 2008 to present
- Best Doctors in America® 2009-2010 – Houston Metro Area
- Safdar Z, Katz MF, Frost AE. Computed axial tomography evidence of left atrial enlargement: a predictor of elevated pulmonary capillary wedge pressure in pulmonary hypertension. International Journal of General Medicine. 2009; 2010(3):23–9.
- Oermann CM, Wheeler C, Cumming S, Katz MF. A pilot study evaluating the potential use of low-dose methotrexate as an anti-inflammatory therapy for CF lung disease. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2007; 42(S30):292-3.
- Kaza V, Katz MF, Cumming S, Frost AE, Safdar Z. Correlation of chest radiograph pattern with genotype, age, and gender in adult cystic fibrosis: a single-center study. Chest. 2007;132(2):569-74.
- Katz MF, PI of the National Emphysema Treatment Trials, et al. A randomized trial comparing lung-volume-reduction surgery with medical therapy for severe emphysema. NEJM. 2003; 348(21):2059-73.
- Katz MF, Beer DJ, Duquette DM, Cruickshank WW, Antonov AS, Romano YA,Smirnov VN, Farver HW. Secretion of a novel T-lymphocyte cytokine possessing both chemotactic and growth factor activity by serotonin-stimulated human aortic endothelial cells. Exp Cell Res. 1994; 212(1):113-9.
- Katz MF, Farber HW, Dodds-Stitt Z, Cruikshank WW, Beer DJ. Serotonin-stimulated aortic endothelial cells secrete a novel T-lymphocyte chemotactic and growth factor. J Leuk Biol. 1994; 55(5):567-73.
- Katz MF and Beer DJ. T-lymphocyte and cytokine networks in asthma: clinical and therapeutic implications. Adv Intern Med. 1993; 38:189-222.
- Katz MF, Farber HW, Fox GS, Antonov AS, Beer DJ. Serotonin induction of a novel T-cell activating factor from human aortic endothelial cells. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991; 1-13:A238.
- Katz MF, Duquette DM, Farber HW, Cruikshank WW, Beer DJ. Elaboration of a novel T-lymphocyte mitoattractant by aortic endothelial cells. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990; 141:A914.