Pawel Jan Kolodziejski, M.D.
Instructor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza - BCM285
Houston, Texas 77030
- M.D., Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
- Ph.D. (In-Training), Physiology, Medical University of Lodz, Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry, Lodz, Poland
- Residency, Neurology, Gorna Public Healthcare Center, Dr. K. Jonscher’s Hospital, Lodz, Poland
- Clinical Internship, Baluty Public Healthcare Center, Lodz, Poland
- Postdoctoral Associate, Medicine/Pulmonary, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Nitric Oxide (NO) plays a role in inflammation and host defense. Overproduction of NO by inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase (iNOS) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of many diseases including asthma, interstitial lung disease, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease. It is suggested that iNOS plays an important role in the host defense against microbial pathogens too. Dr. Pawel Kolodziejski's principal research interest is in the regulation of iNOS, specifically in its degradation by an ubiquitin-proteasome system. He reported that iNOS is ubiquitinated, and the ubiquitination of iNOS is required for its degradation. He shown that iNOS is controlled through a rapid rate of turnover and established INOS half-life. Dr. Kolodziejski's recent research is focused on the role of proteasomal regulators such as PA28 alpha, beta and PA700 in the modulation of proteasomal activity in degradation of proteins. He is also interested in the involvement of proteasomal regulators in the molecular biology of cells.
Awards and Honors
- American Heart Association Award, 2005-2006
- American Heart Association Award, 2003-2005
- European Neuropeptide Club Award, 2000
- International Union of Physiological Sciences Award, 1997
- Orlowska-Majdak M, Naziemblo B, Kolodziejski P. Influence of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) dialyzed into the hippocampus on memory processes in rabbit. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2007; 67(1):53-62.
- Arbiser JL, Govindarajan B, Battle TE, Lynch R, Frank DA, Ushio-Fukai M, Perry BN, Stern DF, Bowden GT, Liu A, Klein E, Kolodziejski PJ, Eissa NT, Hossain CF, Nagle DG. Carbazole is a naturally occurring inhibitor of angiogenesis and inflammation isolated from antipsoriatic coal tar. J Invest Dermatol. 2006; 126(6):1396-402.
- Kolodziejski PJ, Koo JS, Eissa NT. Regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase by rapid cellular turnover and cotranslational down-regulation by dimerization inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2004; 101(52):18141-6.
- Glabinski AR, Bielecki B, Kolodziejski P, Han Y, Selmaj K, Ransohoff RM. TNF-alpha microinjection upregulates chemokines and chemokine receptors in the central nervous system without inducing leukocyte infiltration. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2003; 23(8):457-66.
- Orłowska-Majdak M, Kolodziejski P, Traczyk WZ. Centrally applied oxytocin has no effect on eyelid conditioning in rabbits. Endocr Regul. 2003; 37(1):21-9.
- Kolodziejski PJ, Rashid MB, Eissa NT. Intracellular formation of "undisruptable" dimers of inducible nitric oxide synthase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003; 100(24):14263-8.
- Kolodziejski PJ, Musial A, Koo JS, Eissa NT. Ubiquitination of inducible nitric oxide synthase is required for its degradation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002; 99(19):12315-20.
- Potargowicz E, Aslanowicz-Antkowiak K, Peszynski C, Kolodziejski P, Nowak D. Low-power irradiation does not influence polymorphonuclear leukocytes chemiluminescence in the whole human blood system. Polish J of Cosmetology. 2001; 3:176-81.
- Orłowska-Majdak M, Kołodziejski P, Dolecki K, Traczyk WZ. Application of infrared detection in the recording of eyelid movements in rabbits. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2001; 61(2):145-9.
- Orłowska-Majdak M, Kołodziejski P, Traczyk WZ. Hippocampal vasopressin (AVP) dialysis and the conditioned eyelid reflex in rabbits. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2001; 52(4 Pt 2):767-80.