Roberto F. Casal, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza - BCM620
Houston, Texas 77030
- M.D., Universidad de Buenos Aires, Facultad de Medicina (Medical School), Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Hospital Juan A. Fernandez, University of Buenos Aires Medical School, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Residency, Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
- Fellowship, HIV Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
- Fellowship, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
- Fellowship, Interventional Pulmonology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
Dr. Casal's research interests are, among others, early detection of lung cancer, hemoptysis, translational research with the combination of advanced diagnostic techniques and molecular medicine, management of central airway obstruction, management of malignant pleural effusions, and development of new tools for interventional pulmonology.
Dr. Casal's main clinical interests are in interventional pulmonology focused on new and minimally invasive technologies for diagnosis, staging and management of lung cancer. His clinical interests also involve bronchoscopic management of benign central airway obstruction (tracheobronchial strictures, tracheobronchiomalacia), management of hemoptysis, and management of both benign and malignant pleural diseases. Dr. Casal has advanced training in flexible and rigid bronchoscopy, bronchoscopic electrocautery, LASER bronchoscopy, cryotherapy, balloon bronchoplasty, endobronchial stent placement (metal, hybrid, and silicone), endobronchial brachytherapy, photodynamic therapy, auto-fluorescence bronchoscopy (LIFE), transbronchial needle aspiration/biopsy, endobronchial ultrasound (radial and convex probe), electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy, and pleuroscopy.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Participation in Morning Report, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, 2005
- Diploma de Honor, University of Buenos Aires, Medical School, 2001
- Casal RF, Adachi R, Jimenez CA, Sarkiss M, Morice RC, Eapen GA. Diagnosis of invasive aspergillus tracheobronchitis facilitated by endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2009; 3:9290.
- Casal RF, Eapen GA, Morice RC, Jimenez CA. Medical thoracoscopy. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2009; 15(4):313-20. Review.