Amir Sharafkhaneh, M.D., Ph.D., D.A.B.S.M.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
MEDVA Medical Center Bldg. 100 (111i)
Houston, Texas 77030
- M.D., Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Fellowship, Pulmonary, Critical Care Medicine and Sleep Medicine, Baylor College Of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Ph.D., Clinical Scientist Training Program, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Dr. Sharafkhaneh's research focuses on diagnosis and treatment of two main respiratory disorders including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and sleep disordered breathing.
Dr. Sharafkhaneh's clinical interest also focuses on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and sleep disordered breathing.
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright and Jaworski Award in Teaching and Evaluation, Baylor College of Medicine, 2005
- Joe Rodarte Young Investigator Award, Baylor College of Medicine, 2002
- Intern-of-the-Year in Internal Medicine, Long Island College Hospital, 1994
- Kumar S., Sharafkhaneh A, Edmonds J, Schultz R, Hopkins B. Treatment of VNS-induced laryngospasm with botulinum toxin. Neurology. 2009; 73(21):1808-10.
- Sharafkhaneh A, Jayaraman G, Kaleekal T, Sharafkhaneh H, Hirshkowitz M. Sleep disorders and their management in patients with COPD. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2009; 3(6):309-18.
- Niewoehner DE, Lapidus R, Cote C, Sharafkhaneh A, Plautz M, Johnson P, Kesten S.. Therapeutic conversion of the combination of Ipratropium and Albuterol to Tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 22(6):587-92.
- Bailey WC, Sciurba FC, Hanania NA, Donohue JF, Ferguson GT, Zibrak JD, Sharafkhaneh A, Marcus P, Rosa K, Piault EC, Martinez FJ. Development and validation of the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Assessment Questionnaire (COPD-AQ). Prim Care Respir J. 2009; 18(3):198-207.
- Cote C, Pearle JL, Sharafkhaneh A, Spangenthal S. Faster onset of action of formoterol versus salmeterol in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a multicenter, randomized study. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 22(1):44-9.
- Criner GJ, Sharafkhaneh A, Player R, Conoscenti CS, Johnson P, Keyser MT, Cassino C. Efficacy of tiotropium inhalation powder in african-american patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. COPD. 2008; 5(1):35-41.
- Jayaraman G, Sharafkhaneh H, Hirshkowitz M, Sharafkhaneh A. Pharmacotherapy of obstructive sleep apnea. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2008; 2(6):375-86. Review.
- Kim V, Benditt JO, Wise RA, Sharafkhaneh A. Oxygen therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5(4):513-8. Review.
- Kunik ME, Veazey C, Cully JA, Souchek J, Graham DP, Hopko D, Carter R, Sharafkhaneh A, Goepfert EJ, Wray N, Stanley MA. COPD education and cognitive behavioral therapy group treatment for clinically significant symptoms of depression and anxiety in COPD patients: a randomized controlled trial. Psychol Med. 2008; 38(3):385-96.
- Sharafkhaneh A, Hanania NA, Kim V. Pathogenesis of emphysema: from the bench to the bedside. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5(4):475-7. Review.