Christina C. Kao, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Children's Nutrition Research Center
1100 Bates Street, Room 7022
Houston, Texas 77005
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Research Fellowship, Children's Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- M.S., Clinical Scientist Training Program, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas (expected 2010)
Dr. Kao's research focuses on alterations in intermediary metabolism in pulmonary and critical care diseases. Currently, a primary area of interest focuses on arginine metabolism, specifically changes in the production and utilization of arginine and nitric oxide in sepsis and pulmonary arterial hypertension. Another area of interest centers on the changes in the utilization of macronutrient fuels that may lead to the development of cachexia in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Translational studies are currently being performed in human subjects with sepsis, pulmonary hypertension, and COPD using a variety of stable isotope tracer techniques.
Awards and Honors
- Participant, American College of Chest Physician’s Leadership Development Course, 2009
- Excellence in Clinical Research Award, Baylor College of Medicine, 2008
- First Place Clinical Research, Department of Medicine Research Symposium, Baylor College of Medicine, 2008
- CHEST Foundation Clinical Research Trainee Award, 2007
- Kao CC, Jain S, Guntupalli KK, Bandi V. Mechanical ventilation for asthma: a 10-year experience. J Asthma. 2008; 45(7):552-6.
- Kao C, Bandi V, Guntupalli K, Jahoor F. Whole-body CO2 production as an index of the metabolic response to sepsis. Shock. 2009; 32(1):23-8.
- Kao C, Bandi V, Guntupalli K, Wu M, Castillo L, Jahoor F. Arginine, citrulline, and nitric oxide metabolism in sepsis. Clin Sci (London). 2009; 117(1):23-30.
- Kao C, Kurpad AV, Dwarkanath P, Muthayya S, Mhaskar A, Thomas A, Vaz M, Jahoor, F. In vivo arginine production and nitric oxide synthesis in pregnant Indian women with normal and low body mass indices. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009; 63(9):1091-7.