Shuo Dong, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
B. S. Tong-Ji Medical University, China, 1986
M. S. Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China, 1992
Ph.D. Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China, 1995
Post doctoral training in Molecular Hematology at Baylor College of Medicine
Post doctoral training in Molecular Hematology at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Post doctoral training in Biochemistry at The University of Hong Kong, China
Dr. Dong has extensive experience in molecular biology study of PML-RARα and PLZF-RARα fusion gene in the pathogenesis of acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL).
- Dong S, Geng JP, Tong JH, Wu Y, Cai JR, Sun GL, Chen SR, Wang ZY, Larsen CJ, Berger R, Chen SJ, Chen Z. Breakpoint clusters of the PML gene in acute promyelocytic leukemia: primary structure of the reciprocal products of the PML-RARA gene in a patient with t(15;17). Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1993; 6: 133-139.
- Chen Z, Tong JH, Dong S, Zhu J, Wang ZY, Chen SJ. Retinoic acid regulatory pathways, chromosomal translocations, and acute promyelocytic leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1996; 15: 147-156.
- Dong S, Zhu J, Reid A, Strutt P, Guidez F, Zhong HJ, Wang ZY, Licht J, Waxman S, Chomienne C, Chen Z, Zelent A, Chen SJ. Amino-terminal protein-protein interaction motif (POZ-domain) is responsible for activities of the promyelocytic leukemia zinc finger-retinoic acid receptor-α fusion protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 3624-3629.
- So CW*, Dong S*, So CK, Cheng GX, Huang QH, Chen SJ, Chan LC. The impact of differential binding of wild-type RARα, PML-, PLZF- and NPM-RARα fusion proteins towards transcriptional co-activator, RIP-140, on retinoic acid responses in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2000; 14: 77-83. (*equal contribution)
- Dong S, Leung KK, Pelling AL, Lee PY, Tang AS, Heng HH, Tsui LC, Tease C, Fisher G, Steel KP, Cheah KS. Circling, deafness, and yellow coat displayed by yellow submarine (ysb) and light coat and circling (lcc) mice with mutations on chromosome 3. Genomics. 2002;79:777-784.
- Dong S, Tweardy DJ. Interactions of STAT5b-RARα, a novel acute promyelocytic leukemia fusion protein, with retinoic acid receptor and STAT3 signaling pathways. Blood. 2002; 99: 2637-2646. (Plenary Paper)
- Dong S, Qiu JH, Stenoien DL, Brinkley WR, Mancini MA, Tweardy DJ. Essential role for the dimerization domain of NuMA-RARα in its oncogenic activities and localization to NuMA sites within the nucleus. Oncogene. 2003; 22: 858-868.
- Dong S, Chen SJ, Tweardy DJ. Cross-talk between retinoic acid and Stat3 signaling pathways in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Leukemia & Lymphoma. 2003; 44(12): 2023-2029.
- Dong S, Stenoien DL, Qiu JH, Mancini MA, Tweardy DJ. Reduced intranuclear mobility of APL fusion proteins accompanies their mislocalization and results in sequestration and slowing of RXRα. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2004; 24: 4465-4475.
- Kwok C, Zeisig BB, Dong S, So CW. Forced homo-oligomerization of RARalpha leads to transformation of primary hematopoietic cells. Cancer Cell 2006; 9: 95-108.
- Qiu JH, Wong J, Tweardy DJ, Dong S. Decreased intranuclear mobility of acute myeloid leukemia 1-containing fusion proteins is accompanied by reduced mobility and compartmentalization of core binding factor beta. Oncogene 2006; 25: 3982-3993.
- Zeisig BB, Kwok C, Zelent A, Shankaranarayanan P, Gronemeyer H, Dong S*, So CW*. Recruitment of RXR by homotetrameric RARα fusion proteins is essential for transformation. Cancer Cell 2007; 12: 36-51. (*equal contribution)
- Qiu JH, Huang Y, Chen GQ, Chen Z, Tweardy DJ, Dong S. Aberrant chromatin remodeling by APL fusion Proteins assessed at the single-cell level. Mol. Biol. Cell. 2007; 18: 3941-3951.
- Huang Y, Qiu J, Dong S, Redell MS, Poli V, Mancini MA, Tweardy DJ. STAT3 isoforms, alpha and beta, demonstrate distinct intracellular dynamics with prolonged nuclear retention of STAT3beta mapping to its unique C-terminal end. J Biol Chem. 2007; 282:34958-34967.
- Huang Y, Qiu JH, Chen GQ, Dong S. Coiled-coil domain of PML is essential for the aberrant dynamics of PML-RARalpha, resulting in sequestration and decreased mobility of SMRT. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 365: 258-265.