Naijie Jing, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
B.S., Huaiyin Normal U. China, 1981
M.S., The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1988
Ph.D., The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1994
Post doctoral training in Molecular Physiology and Biophysics at Baylor College of Medicine
Dr. Jing has extensive experience in DNA drug design for anti-HIV and anti-cancer therapies and has built up a novel system for drug design and drug delivery. His lab’s research interests are to develop a potent anti-tumor agent to target the key molecules or oncogenic signaling, such as Stat3 and HIF-1a, for human cancer therapies by using rational drug design system, effective delivery system, and the assays of molecular and cell biology, and animal biology to test the designed drug activity.
- Jing N and Hogan ME "Structure-Activity of Tetrad-forming Oligonucleotide as a Potent Anti-HIV Therapeutic Drug" The Journal of Biological Chemistry (1998) 273 (52): 34992-34999.
- Jing N, De, Clercq, E., Rando, R. F., Pallansch, L., lackman-Smith, C., Lee, S., and Hogan, M. E. "Stability-Activity Relationships of a Family of G-tetrad forming Oligonucleotides as Potent HIV Inhibitors: A Basis for Anti-HIV Drug Design" The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2000) 275 (5): 3421-3430.
- Jing N, Marchand, C., Liu, J., Mitra, R., Hogan, M. E., and Pommier, Y. "Mechanism of Inhibition of HIV-1 Integrase by G-tetrad Forming Oligonucleotides in Vitro" Journal of Biological Chemistry (2000) 275 (28), 21460-21467.
- Jing N “Developing G-quartet oligonucleotides as novel anti-HIV agents: focus on anti-HIV drug design” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs (2000) 9(8) 1777-1785.
- Marchand, C., Pourquier, P., Laco G., Jing, N. and Pommier, Y. “interaction of Human Nuclear Topoisomerase with Guanosine-quartet-forming and Guanosinf-rich Single-stranded DNA and RNA oligonucleotides” The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2002) 277(11), 8906-8911.
- Jing N, Xiong, W., Guan, Y., Pallasch, L., Wang S. “Potassium Dependent Folding: A Key to Intracellular Delivery of G-quartet Oligonucleotides as HIV Inhibitors” Biochemistry (2002) 41(17), 5397-5403.
- Jing N, Li, Y., Xcu, X., Li, P., Feng, L., Tweardy, D. “Targeting Stat3 with G-quartet oligonucleotides in human cancer cells” DNA and Cell Biology (2003) 22, 685-696.
- Shao, H., Xu, X., Mastrangelo, M-A., Jing, N., Cook, R. G., Legge, G. D., and Tweardt, D. J. “Structural requirements for Stat3 binding to phosphotyrosine ligands containing the YXXQ motif” Journal of Biological Chemistry (2004) 279, 18967-18973.
- Jing N, Li, Y., Xiong, W., Sha, W. Jing, L. Tweardy, D. J. “G-quartet oligonucleotides: a new class of Stat3 inhibitors that suppresses growth of prostate and breast tumors through induction of apoptosis” Cancer Research (2004) 64, 6603-6609.
- Jing, N. Sha, W., Li, Y., Xiong, W., Twaerdy, D. J. “Rational drug design of G-quartet DNA as anti-cancer agents” Curr. Pharma. Design (2005) 11, 2841-2854.
- Shao, H. Xu, X., Jing N, Tweardy, D. J. “Structure requirements for signal transducer and activitor of transcription (STAT) 3 binding to granulocyte colony-stimulating factor receptor (G-CSFR) phosphotyrosine ligands 704 and 744” Journal of Immunology (2006) 176(5):2933-2941.
- Jing N, Zhu Q, Yuan P, Li Y, Mao L, Tweardy DJ. “Targeting Stat3 with G-quartet oligonucleotides: a potential novel therapy for head and neck cancer” Mol. Cancer Therapeutics (2006) 5:279-286.
- Weerasinghe P, Garcia GA, Zhu Q, Yuan P, Feng L, Mao L, Jing N. “Inhibition of Stat3 activation and tumor growth suppression of non-small cell lung cancer by G-quartet oligonucleotides” International Journal of Oncology (2007) 31:129-136.
- Zhu Q, Jing N. “Computational Study on Mechanism of G-Quartet Oligodeoxynucleotide Selectively Inhibiting Stat3 Activity” J. Computer-aided Mol. Design (2007) 22.Nov. (on line).