The Section of Infectious Diseases at Baylor College of Medicine was established in 1949 with the recruitment of Ellard Yow as chief of section and the completion of the Cullen Building, the first building within the Texas Medical Center and new home of the College in Houston.
Subsequent chiefs of section include Vernon Knight from 1966 to 1987, Robert Couch from 1988 to 1992, Daniel Musher from 1993 to 1999 and David J. Tweardy from 1999 to the present.
Major inpatient clinical services within the BCM ID Section are the Ben Taub (formerly Jefferson Davis) Hospital group, the Michael E. DeBakey VAMC group, and the Baylor ID (formerly Methodist Hospital) group.
Chiefs of services since their inception have been:
- Ben Taub – Drs. Ellard Yow, Thomas Cate, Stephen Greenberg, Clinton White, David Tweardy and Robert Atmar (current)
- MEDVAMC - Drs. Daniel Musher and Maria Rodriguez–Barradas (current)
- Baylor ID group - Drs. Edwin Ory, Temple Williams, Major Bradshaw, William Goins and Laila Woc–Colburn (current)
The major outpatient service within the BCM ID Section is Thomas Street Health Center directed by Thomas Giordano.
Other College leadership positions held by members of the ID Faculty include Dean of Medical Education (Dr. Stephen Greenberg) and Department of Medicine Associate Chief of Education and Program Director (Dr. Richard Hamill).