Peter H. Jones, M.D.
- Associate Professor, Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Methodist DeBakey Heart Center
- Medical Director, Medical Weight Management Program, The Methodist Hospital
Clinical Research Interests:
I continue to perform clinical trials of new lipid-modifying drugs. These include antisense apo B oligonucleotides, squalene synthase inhibitors, microsomal triglyceride transfer protein inhibitors, reduced-flush niacin, cholesterol ester transfer protein inhibitors and cholesterol absorption inhibitors. These studies do include the study of safety and efficacy of fixed dose lipid drug combinations.
I am also interested in obesity research, with a focus on the effects of weight reduction with very low calorie diets on plasma markers of inflammation and insulin sensitivity.
I am the site principal investigator of the AIM HIGH trial, a NIH-funded 4 year outcomes study in subjects with CHD and metabolic syndrome who are randomized to a statin or statin plus niacin. We have performed LDL apheresis for homozygous FH patients for nearly 20 years, using the Liposorber system.
- Jones PH, Davidson MH. Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statin. Am J Cardiol 2005;95:120-122.
- Deedwania PC, Hunninghake DB, Bays HE, Jones PH, Cain VA, Blasetto JW; STELLAR Study Group. Effects of rosuvastatin, atorvastatin, simvastatin, and pravastatin on atherogenic dyslipidemia in patients with characteristics of the metabolic syndrome. Am J Cardiol 2005;95:360-366.
- Miller PS, Smith DG, Jones P. Cost effectiveness of rosuvastatin in treating patients to low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goals compared with atorvastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin (a US Analysis of the STELLAR Trial). Am J Cardiol 2005;95:1314-1319.
- Liu MY, Xydakis AM, Hoogeveen RC, Jones PH, Smith EO, Nelson KW, Ballantyne CM. Multiplexed analysis of biomarkers related to obesity and the metabolic syndrome in human plasma, using the Luminex-100 system. Clin Chem 2005;51:1102-1109.
- Jones PH. Statins: the case for higher, individualized starting doses. Cleve Clin J Med 2005;72:811-816.
- Vasudevan AR, Jones PH. Effective use of combination lipid therapy. Curr Cardiol Rep 2005;7:471-479.
- Vasudevan AR, Jones PH. Effective use of combination lipid therapy. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2006;8:76-84.